[SOLVED?] Proton
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

JOIN US FOR ANOTHER LIVE STREAM!
Thursday October 18th @ 7PM EST UTC -5
TOPIC: Fun With Open Broadcast Studio
Visit Spatry's Cup of Linux on Youtube!

Author Topic: [SOLVED?] Proton  (Read 128 times)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« on: October 09, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »
I'm not a huge gamer, and I don't often try to run many win games in Linux, but I would kind of be interested in a simple to follow tutorial for installing Proton and setting it up...

Also be interested to know if anyone has tried using Proton to run other win software besides games? I'm looking for some method to run advanced graphics software that needs direct access to the video card, and VirtualBox doesn't cut it... was wondering if maybe Proton would do the trick, since games usually require more advanced graphics access.

Maybe I missed it, but from what I have seen so far, the instructions for installing and using Proton seem to be scattered about and posted in different posts, if somebody who is using it regularly could assemble all that info into one, easy to follow tutorial, I, for one, would be thankful, and I don't think I'd be alone.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:47:01 PM by fraterchaos »
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline MrCoe

Re: Proton
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 02:31:08 AM »
Hi Frater

My suggestion is not of proton but rather have you tried GPU passthrough with KVMand virt manager ?

Cheers

Ryan
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline CwF

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also be interested to know if anyone has tried using Proton to run other win software besides games?
Not yet, I'm to conservative, lazy, or by now wise! I'll wait until Proton hits debian stable. With that said I will add that I've thoroughly tested and have boiled down to some "canaries". These programs reveal the underlying architecture of the machine makes a significant difference in otherwise the same software stack when using passed video, ie the block diagram of the chipset/cpu's/slots. So this is a discussion itself.
 My non-game canary is EFILive. It really needs multiple monitors. So far no software only solution fully works. Then there is one game canary that doesn't work with passed hardware and DOES in software. Once you try to pass something that then hooks onto a passed video card, then the architecture matters. Hardware solutions are getting worse as I see it, hope the software solutions get better. So far for me kvm with vfio hardware is 80-90% functional. Lower than that it's pass/fail to me, and VB and wine so far fails.
 I will be anxiously watching!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
I will have a video coming up which will show you how to use PROTON in Playonlinux! WooHoo!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Challene

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
Wow, great news, Spatry! Thanks! Can't wait it :D

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »
I will have a video coming up which will show you how to use PROTON in Playonlinux! WooHoo!

Yeah, I just watched the video...

trouble is, I need a more basic tut on installing Proton in the first place. I also have not previously used PlayOnLinux, just using bare WINE for the most part now, although I do have Steam installed, I haven't really used it much... I was playing Civilization III with it a little bit, but that plays better in Win 7 in VirtualBox...

Post Merge: October 10, 2018, 09:38:43 PM
Hi Frater

My suggestion is not of proton but rather have you tried GPU passthrough with KVMand virt manager ?

Cheers

Ryan

I'm going to be honest and admit I don't even know what that is
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:31:27 PM »
Install any Windows game from Steam Play and you will have the proton directory which you can install into playonlinux. Why go through the hassle of building/compiling it when Valve will deliver it into your steamapps directory? Also, I have a BUNCH of playonlinux videos on my channel... they are older videos but they are still relevant EVEN TODAY!

Offline Challene

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »
Thanks for the video, Spatry! Well done! :)

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
never mind...

this isn't really answering my questions. I need to know the basics of installing Proton in the first place, and I can't really "install the game" from Steam, because the software I would like to get to run isn't a game and isn't on Steam...

Guess I'll just have to go through all the Proton messages and videos and figure out how to install it on my own, and then see if I can work out a process to try using it on software that's not a game and not available through Steam. But that will all have to wait until I can find more time to devote to the project as I have too many other things going on right now, to engage in an extended research project

Offline MrCoe

Re: [SOLVED?] Proton
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
KVM is the hypervisor platform that linux uses, the linux opponent to hyper v if you like. virt manager is the pretty GUI that kvm uses to manage your virtual machine instances. Using these tools you can passthrough a graphics card and usb devices to the vm and get full performance from the hardware :)
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 06:45:34 AM »
The thing which makes Proton different from WINE is the DXVK software which has better translation of DirectX to OpenGL. So if you want to run software which does not require Vulkan, then you would be better off using Wine. If there is a particular software you need running you should probably check the WineHQ database. If it is specialized software then the Playonlinux debugger will give you clues to let you know what dependencies you might need in order to get the software to run.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
The thing which makes Proton different from WINE is the DXVK software which has better translation of DirectX to OpenGL. So if you want to run software which does not require Vulkan, then you would be better off using Wine. If there is a particular software you need running you should probably check the WineHQ database. If it is specialized software then the Playonlinux debugger will give you clues to let you know what dependencies you might need in order to get the software to run.

Well, the last time I did check WineHQ, the software wasn't listed... it's a very little known program, put out by an individual programmer... I'm not even sure if it's still being developed.

I've also tried getting Daz Studio to work, using all the tips they give on WineHQ and had no luck, same with running the latest version of it in Win 7 In VirtualBox. Some of the older versions will run in VirtualBox, but even those I can't get to run in WINE.

But the main one is the "PolyBrush" program, which, as I said, is little known and developed by a single programmer. It's a 3D graphics program that allows you to "paint" with 3D shapes, which would be great for creating various aliens and weird spaceships and such, especially if I could use pieces of my fractals to make brushes for it. But first, I've have to get it to work in some form, either WINE or Windows in VirtualBox or something else.

I have thought of trying VMWare, as I have heard it has better graphics pass-through, but I just have not had the time to put into learning a whole new virtualization software.

The same goes for the whole "hyperviser" thing... Seems like that's even more problematical to learn and get working correctly, and I don't even fully understand what it is or what it's purpose is. I don't get why I would want to run multiple virtual machines at the same time... and considering some of the posts I've read by the people doing it, it's got a lot of problems and issues that you spend loads of time working out... I just don't have that kind of time right now.

I just figured is Proton worked well with intense graphic games for windows, it might also work on other sorts of graphic programs. But perhaps not.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »
I have Daz studio running in Wine and there is a tutorial for that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Your polybrush software may have dependencies you need to install in order to get it to work. Daz studio only works in a 32 bit wine prefix, I cannot get 64 bit to work at all... might be a similar situation for polybrush.... experimentation is key.

Offline CwF

Re: Re: Re: [SOLVED?] Proton
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »
That looks like some very cool software. The author mentions using 'parallels' under OSX. I'd expect it to run well from a vm with a quadro video card. He also mentions some nvidia issues, quadros seem to escape a few nvidia issues in my experience. A program like that screams out for a large format 4k touch screen hanging from the ceiling!
...the whole "hyperviser" thing... Seems like that's even more problematical to learn and get working correctly, and I don't even fully understand what it is or what it's purpose is. I don't get why I would want to run multiple virtual machines at the same time...
Once your there you won't go back. On the lower end, like using a vm on a laptop, it's useful for exploring distros if you do that, or if you experiment with desktop design or the like you have a separate system to screw up without complication. On the high end you get a whole new world of functionality. Segmentation or a compartmentalized system design brings much to the table. Browsers, the worst and most insecure of all software, can be quarantined beyond firejails wildest dreams. Most single-user software can't use a dozen cores effectively, you can find an optimum in a vm, while the machine is free for you to continue elsewhere with full power. A program that brings the machine to a crawl? Many times in a vm you'll find it brings it to a crawl while being no faster than it was while hogging the entire machine = confined in the vm you'll find your free to use the machine elsewhere with seemingly full performance. When it comes to 32bit software without current hardware support you can give it the horsepower otherwise unavailable to a bare metal machine.

If you move on to multiple monitors it's yet another world. Any program on any OS on one screen, something else on the other, and you can mouse back and forth seamlessly as if it's the same computer, because it is! You can even have a partner working with their own keyboard and mouse doing their own thing on that screen while you work on this screen, again on one computer. And you can mouse over and screw them up when you get bored!

And the best use of a ridiculously over powered multi-monitored vm beast is now I have a computer that can keep up with my scattered attention disorder... To summarize, >8 cores, >32GB, >2 drives, >2 monitors and video cards, >1 user (or a scattered single user) you're in "hypervisor" territory. So with a significant buy-in, there is significant advantage.