Which is your choice?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

JOIN US FOR ANOTHER LIVE STREAM!
Thursday October 18th @ 7PM EST UTC -5
TOPIC: Fun With Open Broadcast Studio
Visit Spatry's Cup of Linux on Youtube!

Author Topic: Which is your choice?  (Read 134 times)

Offline Challene

Which is your choice?
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:43:52 AM »
Just in case before I start I want to say that I hope this will never happen, but:
If our best OS(Linux) will fall and will be discontinued, maybe if developers will remove their parts of code from Linux kernel and Linux become insecure. Where will you all go? Will you stay on Linux or maybe you'll switch to BSD? Haiku?  Or.. Maybe.. Windows?

Again, I'm not saying this gonna happen, just interesting to hear your opinions.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Which is your choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:19:36 AM »
The media loves to do nothing but stir up everyone's pot and have society living in fear. Based on Vaughn's coverage on ZDnet, Linux is not going anywhere and nobody is getting fired from their jobs over the CoC. No Linux? I would have to use Windows 7 Enterprise. BSD does not have the hardware support and HURD is incomplete, I cannot afford a Mac so that rules out that option as well. 

Interestingly I use Windows 7 in a VM for game modding tools which will not run in Linux.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
Tough choice... It'd be certainly between macOS and BSD (though, they're kind of the same thing.) The hardware support for BSD might not be there, but for the hardware it does support, it's spectacularly fast, and spectacularly stable. I'd probably specifically buy hardware that is supported by BSD. I have several Apple machines, and macOS is nice for what it is, but I would have to have at lease ONE machine that is specifically NOT a Mac. I truly do not think that I could go back to a Windows machine as a daily driver. Apple will, at very least, fight for my privacy, even if it means chaining myself to their ecosystem (which has slowly happened, since Linux on HiDPI still kind of sucks, and my MBP is a retina model). Long story short, I'd probably build a BSD machine specifically to run BSD. I can live without gaming on PC if it means having to compromise privacy and security. Consoles do just fine.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
Also chiming in it's unlikely to happen. A lot of the big contributions to Linux are corporate in nature, with their own self-interest, and are unlikely to pull their code en masse. And it seems like way too big a passionate community to truly fall apart.

But if things were to go south I would look into BSD. At most a Hackintosh. I need some kind of Unix-y environment.

Offline Challene

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
Thanks for the responding! Maybe someone will respond in this topic later too. Anyway BSD isn't so good right now, but who know what will be later. Maybe BSD will be a great OS with hardware support in future. But for now, our Linux is still alive, so let's enjoy it! :)

Offline CwF

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
It can't happen. The cat is out of the bag, gone feral, and had kittens.

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:32:44 AM »
I have little to no experience with BSD, and if it's something I hate more than Windows it's Mac. So I'd have to go with Windows 10. Unfortunately Win7 is expiring and doesn't support Direct X 12. I shutter at the thought of Linux going away.

Interestingly, though, I may get so frustrated with Microsoft that I might just buckle down and learn how to make my own OS, LOL!!! Maybe I'd go purely Android. IDK. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Challene

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »

Interestingly, though, I may get so frustrated with Microsoft that I might just buckle down and learn how to make my own OS, LOL!!!

It's hard, but interesting! :D Hmmm.. COL OS by the COL community?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 07:05:21 AM »
We already have the community maintained mCOLe (Manjaro Cup of Linux Edition)
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Challene

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
Yea, but it based on Manjaro with Linux kernel. I was talking about own kernel, Spatry :D