archiso
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: archiso  (Read 1190 times)

Offline antechdesigns

archiso
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
I am trying to build an archiso using various info from around the web, mainly midfingr, archwiki and some old blog tutorials.
While I have managed to get the iso booting in vbox, I feel I have some things missing, the archwiki is not very informative and a bit unclear imho.
Would love to see a video of spatry break it down for us, as I feel the info out there is quite outdated and not relevant anymore in 2018!?
My goal is to build an archlinux iso with the deepin desktop pre-installed and eventually incorporate an installer for anybody that wants to install archlinux with the deepin desktop.
Thank you very much for you time & efforts ;)
Ant
If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: archiso
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »
Distrotube did an EXCELLENT Arch installation video.
https://youtu.be/DuX4ERxnrsY
I cannot really expand on what he did and keep the presentation within current run-time parameters.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline antechdesigns

Re: Re: archiso
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
Distrotube did an EXCELLENT Arch installation video.
Thanks for the reply Spatry ;)
Installing arch is not the problem, that's the easy bit, I have a few arch install tutorials on my youtube channel.
The problem is creating an arch respin iso, using archiso some of the info around the web seems a bit dated.

I appreciate you taking the time to have a look, thanks anyways ;)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
That would be Matthew Moore's area of expertise... I never built Arch for ISO distribution, only Manjaro using their tools. Matthew is known to pop into the mumble server during our daily chat hours (8-10PM) so you could pop in there and pick his brain.

Offline antechdesigns

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice spatry ;)
I've pretty much got an ISO created from different sources from around the web :) everything is there testing it on virtualbox :)
All I need now is some info on adding an installer for it. If anybody know or recommends an installer. can you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Ant ;)

Post Merge: October 08, 2018, 10:34:10 AM
@spatry !!
OMG I have only gone and done it :o
I managed to make an archiso with the deepin desktop and installed it to a vbox :o
I ended up using abif-master by carl duff!! the installer set up my user account without a hitch.
display manager shows up, network is working, even got the icon in system tray ;)
One thing I was really worried about was downloading updates, even that is working once I did a sudo pacman -Syy
I Really can't believe I have managed to do it ;)
If I was a bit younger I would be doing backflips ;D

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:34:10 AM by antechdesigns »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 03:07:37 PM »
Awesome sauce... now you have an image you can deploy over several computers in your network. Building your own distro is a lot of fun!

Offline antechdesigns

[SOLVED] Re: Re: archiso
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:26:30 AM »
Awesome sauce... now you have an image you can deploy over several computers in your network. Building your own distro is a lot of fun!

Thanks Spatry, Well I managed to do it, you can download the archdeepin iso from here: https://antechdesigns.000webhostapp.com/

Thanks for your encouragement Spatry ;)