Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)  (Read 2691 times)

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »
Hello All

Was wondering if anyone knew what folder in the ~/.config directory holds the theme settings for the xfce panel ?

I have done the following so far:

- Reinstalled xfce4 panel
- Deleted xfce4 settings from xfce4 directory
- Recreated panel 
- Switched compositor from compiz to xfwm4
- Logged in as root, issue is isolated to my home directory settings and not system wide
- My plan is to recreate my user and home directory to resolve the problem and use timeshift to back it up.

The irony is i was one of 2 steps from imaging my OS with clonezilla when the break occurred after i changed my theme LOL

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
what is it exactly that you want to change about the panel?

You can easily change the colors right from the right click menu, and you can also choose a background image from there if that's what you want. You can add and remove panels, and add and remove items from the panels. There's really very little need to mess around with any config files.

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:34 PM »
Hi Frater how are you mate ?

So i'm looking to revert the panel to its default state, following a gtk-engine update the panel and applications menu theme will not change no matter what theme you choose/apply.
Kind Regards

Ryan 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »
On Manjaro the configurations are stored here:
Code: [Select]
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xmlMake a backup of these files... I would imagine that deleting them would force your XFCE to take a default look. If you have already tried deleting these files and still found no joy, try copying over the XFCE configs from:
Code: [Select]
/etc/skelinto your home directory and see if that resolves your issue.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Re: Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:27:05 PM »
Hi Frater how are you mate ?

So i'm looking to revert the panel to its default state, following a gtk-engine update the panel and applications menu theme will not change no matter what theme you choose/apply.
Kind Regards

Ryan

wow, that's weird. I've never experienced anything like that.

I would guess trying Spatry's suggestion would make the most sense, /etc/skel holds all the original versions of the files as they are installed on first installation, so those versions should be clean

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
Thanks gents, ill give that a try when i get home tonight...Can't believe i forgot about etc/skel "Facepalm" haha!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:12 AM »
I get the facepalm too, Ryan. I saw this thread RIGHT after you posted the initial question and I had to do a little digging around myself to find those files... You would think I can recite this stuff of the top of my head, after all, I have built my own Linux distribution a FEW times and this is stuff every developer should know ... EVEN I FORGET things. Sometimes I have to WATCH my own videos on YouTube because I do not remember how I did something.... can anyone say

MIDLIFE CRISIS?

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
I get the facepalm too, Ryan.
It is ABOUT TIME that you admitted you are STUPID, Spatry! If it is of any consolation, I get part of the blame because I have been slipping mega-doses of aspartame and iodine into your food when you have not been looking! HAH!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: Re: Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
/etc/skel holds all the original versions of the files as they are installed on first installation, so those versions should be clean

I'm curious. Is this an arch thing only? What triggers the original copies to be made there? I didn't forget, I never knew! All my Debian installs all have the same 3 basic files, 2 bash and a profile, nothing about xfce or themes is duplicated there.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
Interestingly, several distributions (Arch, Ubuntu & others) store default settings in "/etc/skel" and the settings are copied to the HOME directory when NEW user accounts are made. Try making a new user account on your machine, then login to it. You will notice the desktop should appear the same way it did when you first installed the distribution for yourself... this of course is assuming you did not remove all associated themes or other components the settings require. This is how I made mCOLe appear the way that it did... 

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
Great minds think alike spat, i believe the trouble was caused by the .local and .themes directories once i deleted them and rebooted the theming returned to normal, but the transition from lightdm to xfce during login had been affected aswell.

So i created a new user after rsyncing my current home directory and started fresh, gonna start moving my settings back tonight, lutris settings application settings etc, it still amazes me how modular linux is, you can shuffle things around like lego its great.

Thanks for the input guys it was much appreciated, i did try the documented reset to defaults for xfce it didn't work for my specific situation but ill remember to RTFM the next time ;) 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:26:10 PM by MrCoe »

Offline DQSII

Re: Re: Panel Theme: Unable to Change (Xfce4)
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
It is ABOUT TIME that you admitted you are STUPID, Spatry! If it is of any consolation, I get part of the blame because I have been slipping mega-doses of aspartame and iodine into your food when you have not been looking! HAH!

I Think Helga Is calling u Out Spatry What are u going to do about it O.o