New Arch Install with Multiple Users
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: New Arch Install with Multiple Users  (Read 835 times)

Offline Santo_101

• I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every second
« on: September 29, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
So, within the next few days, my new computer parts will arrive and I'm naturally installing Arch on that baby beast. This will naturally include a lightdm and Xfce/i3 setup with accounts for both myself as well as my wife, who's had little to none experience with linux what so ever. My thoughts are to be able to connect our usernames to a preferred desktop, i3 for me and xfce for her, that will automate when logged in. Now specifying this in a search provide did leave me more or less clueless tbh. Is there any superb ideas on a workaround on the subject?
"Liar, liar pant on.... HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!"

Offline DeathByArch

Re: New Arch Install with Multiple Users
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:12:13 AM »
It's been a few weeks since this post, so not sure if you already installed, but for anyone else with the same question, speaking generally, some of the more advanced display managers (such as lightdm or sddm, among others including some on CLI) allow for some kind of user profile personalization which will specify which of multiple window managers to launch upon authentication. Learning more about how to do this will require reading about the configuration options available to whichever display manager you are using. A good place to begin would be at the Arch Wiki: Display Manager article.
Fancy stuff goes here.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: New Arch Install with Multiple Users
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
I know a number of Arch users prefer SLIM and that lets you choose which desktop you want to login to... The link supplied by DeathbByArch should get you what you want... 
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!