Distro hopping journey.
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Distro hopping journey.  (Read 1244 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Distro hopping journey.
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Hey, Spat, what has your distro hopping journey consisted of over the years? I know you used a lot of Ubuntu derivatives in your early days and then switched to Arch, then eventually Manjaro, but what is your overall Journey? Mine has been Elementary OS, Ubuntu, Manjaro, TBD.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Distro hopping journey.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »
Watch all of my youtube videos... it will explain the transition.... Prior to Youtube I was a Windows user... I used RedHat, Manrake, Suse, knoppix and many others but never stuck with them until I tried MINT and found it would power everything for me. Pin**y OS was my main distro when I started Cup of Linux and that is one distro I will not touch with a 10 foot pole.... Antoni Norman has proven he is an ENEMY of open source by forcing bogus takedowns against Cup of Linux and therefore will not get any coverage from me. I understand he is releasing new versions of the OS but I am not interested in trying out his BLOATWARE!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline DQSII

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Ive never Tried Pin** os myself but have no  urge to do so i use ubuntu first than i tried mint than i tried manjaro than transistoned to arch and transitioned to gentoo from there spatry and utemitally like gentoo so much i run it on my main pc and donate to the gentoo project monthly through my pay pal 

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
dont i tried for the hell of it had so many issues with it. it wasnt even funny. theres no passion there anymore.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »
While he does try to make gnome shell better, his enhancements make the system feel bloated like a poorly configured KDE desktop. I remember the OS being totally unusable in a virtual machine and my feeling is that "if an OS is not good enough to test on virtual hardware, why would I want to run it on REAL HARDWARE"? You can run Windows and MAC operating systems in a virtual machine, so there is no excuse for that nonsense. I understand that he is trying to run Gnome shell like puppy Linux where it loads most things into memory... this is a real waste when you may not need those extra functions hogging up your ram. Antoni could learn a LOT from Manjaro... and I have told him that before. I suppose I could test the latest Pinguy OS and host the video on THIS SERVER... then direct my youtube audience here to view the video... Then lets see him try to force me to take such videos down HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »
actually the last time i tried couldn't get it to run right actual hardware either. the little bit i could get to run crashed or froze.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:18:42 AM »
I tried his OS back in 2015 and used it on a LiveUSB a few times, but when I first heard about the incident within a few months of being a COL member, I decided I couldn't ever support someone who commits perjury and abuses the DMCA for something that is free and open source. As for my next distro, I have been thinking about OpenSUSE, but I REALLY want to use Gentoo on the family desktop with a dedicated hard drive, on my own laptop computer and tower build when I finally get those, and on my Raspberry Pi 2. I have been considering Slackware and may still try it. Hopefully I have the patience to compile everything and get all the dependencies in Slackware.

Offline DQSII

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:44:47 AM »
I tried his OS back in 2015 and used it on a LiveUSB a few times, but when I first heard about the incident within a few months of being a COL member, I decided I couldn't ever support someone who commits perjury and abuses the DMCA for something that is free and open source. As for my next distro, I have been thinking about OpenSUSE, but I REALLY want to use Gentoo on the family desktop with a dedicated hard drive, on my own laptop computer and tower build when I finally get those, and on my Raspberry Pi 2. I have been considering Slackware and may still try it. Hopefully I have the patience to compile everything and get all the dependencies in Slackware.

I use gentoo as my daily driver on my main pc pip and love it it takes some work to setup but its worth it in the long run and u get the sleekest system u want and have complete control down to the use flags and compile everything from source

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Distro hopping journey.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
I use gentoo as my daily driver on my main pc pip and love it it takes some work to setup but its worth it in the long run and u get the sleekest system u want and have complete control down to the use flags and compile everything from source

Oh, yes, that is very true. I would say that installing is more complex than actually using Gentoo overall. Once you get past that hurtle, you're free to do whatever you want with your system. KDE has been traditionally bloated in the past, but not so much with Gentoo since you can only include the dependencies necessary for running KDE, leaving out the optional ones. I would use KDE and i3 with my future Gentoo setup.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:46:20 PM »
Pin**y OS, wow another Ubuntu Fork real original work there. Why does everyone fork Ubuntu? I don't get it. Just use Ubuntu. It seems like everyone is trying to be the next Linux Mint or something. In my book there's only Debian /Ubuntu /Linux Mint, Manjaro, openSUSE,..........and Fedora................and Solus. Don't get me wrong, Forks are a good thing, but when you have 100's, probably 1000's of Forks of one distribution, it's too much. You end up with Forks of Forks of Forks. Just use the original or the Fork closest to the original.

In my case I guess I started with Linux Mint.....16 I think. After a few issues I've had with it (mostly with the Cinnamon DE), I tried Ubuntu 14.04 and loved it. Then a few more years of distro hopping and experimenting ended up with Ubuntu 18.04. I can't see myself using any other distro at this point in time, it just fits me. While distro hopping I've used other distributions such as Debian, openSUSE, Fedora, Elementary, Zorin OS, KNOPPIX, Kali, Linux Lite, Chromium OS, Peppermint, Puppy, Gecko, Deepin, and a few other obscure distro's. None have impressed me as much as plain vanilla Ubuntu, personally tweaked to my liking of course.

My favorite Gnome Shell Extensions are Dash to Dock, Dash to Panel, Frippery App Menu, Coverflow Alt Tab, No Top Left Hot corner, Places Status indicator, and Hide Workspace Thumbnail. Best GNOME experience in my eyes.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage