Linux Does What Win Don't Part 5?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
HELP WANTED: Volunteers needed to maintain our Linux Distribution Directory. See the sticky on the DistroHunt board. Thanks.

Author Topic: Linux Does What Win Don't Part 5?  (Read 150 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
Hey, it's been another 2 years, so I think maybe it might be a good time for a 5th episode. What do you think, Spatry?
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Linux Does What Win Don't Part 5?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
I need 10 more things.... I think the first one is stir up controversy! HA HA HA
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 01:07:51 AM »
No kidding! This SJW nonsense is ridiculous! After watching your new podcast, I'm feeling a bit pessimistic. If Linux actually does 100% go away forever, I will probably cry. TUX is like a childhood friend to me and I am not about to watch him waddle away into darkness to be eaten by SJW wolves.

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
These are more complaints than suggestions and I'm sure some of these have already been done, but I think they could at least spark some creativity.

01.) Forced Upgrades (Not to be confused with updates)
02.) Forced Installation of Windows store apps
03.) Forced Advertising injected right into the OS
04.) Users getting nagged about changing default Apps (Windows 10 Recommended Software)
          04a.) Specifically when changing web browsers.
05.) Scare tactics to get Windows 7 users onto Windows 10 (Not Supported Hardware)
          05a.) This is complete crap btw. You can't tell me a Vista era PC was designed for Win10
06.) Edge
07.) Tricky and Misleading Microsoft Accounts (Specifically Local vs Online Accounts)
08.) Cortana
09.) Windows Defender (It takes credit when other scanners find infections, embarrassing really)
10.) Linux is able to read, or at least access, files from a Mac storage device like a Hard Drive.
          10a.) The only way to view files is by using a third party file explorer like Linux Reader.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
You made some excellent suggestions for a reversal video Crimson, so I will do a "Windows Does" feature instead... I am sure it will be just as controversial as all of the other videos in the "Linux Does" series LOL. Thanks for the idea... I can definitely run with that!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 11:59:23 PM »
Haha, thank you. I'm fortunate enough to have to work with Windows on a daily basis so I've got some dirt on M$'s latest turd. Rarely do I get to interact with a client that has the willingness AND aptitude to try Linux, in spite of how easy it is to use nowadays. Most conversions go pretty well, meaning they get a Linux distribution and you never hear back from them. Some cases get rejected, but we don't want them as Linux users anyway, LOL!!!

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 01:48:35 AM »
Here's some ideas if you do decide to make a part 5:
1. Supports more partition types (more than just MBR and GPT)

2. No arbitrary dropping of older hardware support to force users to upgrade to a new version

3. More consistency with newer Linux distro versions than newer Windows versions

4. Continued development of software, even after EOL (forking, e.g. GNOME 2, MATE)
Try getting the Windows 7 desktop on 8 or 10! It's not happening.

5. Can have a greater number of hard drives, partitions, and simultaneous devices connected (Windows assigns letters to everything, so you're most likely limited to only 26, though I think that was only a DOS limitation)

6. Has better technical support for end users and you can even contact the developers directly in most cases

7. Won't install updates that delete users' programs

8. Due to the way user and file permissions work, you can access the entire system with root privileges whereas in Windows, even with an administrator account, you don't have access to every part of Windows, including the backdoors, so if people install malware on your Windows machine, you oftentimes can't delete it as a result.

9. You have more bootloader options with Linux. You can use GRUB, LILO, SysLinux, etc. With Windows, you only get the NT bootloader.

10. Better future-proofing

Offline CwF

Re: Linux Does What Win Don\'t Part 5?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
5. Can have a greater number of hard drives, partitions, and simultaneous devices connected (Windows assigns letters to everything, so you're most likely limited to only 26, though I think that was only a DOS limitation)

8. ... you oftentimes can't delete it as a result.
Since NT 3.5 or so there is no software limit to the number of physical drives. Only one drive needs a letter. Don't forget SCSI. In the 90's I built many machines which would report a single 'C' where "C", "Program Files", "Document and Setting" could each be augmented by raid 0,1,5,10. So "C" could be a minimum of 3 drives (no raid) or a maximum of actual physical limitations of slots and controllers. Buslogic was nice enough to customize controllers for me so all their bus addresses would play nice and all be workable from a single bios screen. Theoretical maximum there was up to 32devices*2channels*3controllers=196 devices, all as "C".
 Even now, I mount virtual usb drives into my VM's user documents without a drive letter.

Then, with "unlocker assistant" and a hex disk editor I could clean anything off a windows partition, including the infamous flash.

Post Merge: October 20, 2018, 11:08:14 AM
6. Has better technical support for end users and you can even contact the developers directly in most cases
 Since my brain went back in time on this one, I think this has deteriorated in all cases on all subjects. Back in that day I mention, talking "directly" meant on the phone!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:08:14 AM by CwF »