To GNU or not to GNU - Gary Explains it!
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: To GNU or not to GNU - Gary Explains it!  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
To GNU or not to GNU - Gary Explains it!
« on: September 04, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
Gary makes some interesting points on this topic and I will refer people to this video whenever FSF fans decide to pop in and push their "GNU slash Linux" agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNeKYjWx-s4
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline dan7960

Re: To GNU or not to GNU - Gary Explains it!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
You can't argue with Gary explains! Calling Linux 'GNU/Linux' is just ridiculous.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
I am surprised that Dirty Helga has not posted a new rule: "Anyone caught using the term GNU/Linux will be BANISHED from the community after enduring 2 hours of public humiliation"!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
I am surprised that Dirty Helga has not posted a new rule: "Anyone caught using the term GNU/Linux will be BANISHED from the community after enduring 2 hours of public humiliation"!
Hmmm that sounds like a FABULOUS idea and I will START the chastisements with you, Spatry because I have seen you say GNU/Linux in more than one of your videos on YouTUBE! Hah!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 12:08:46 PM »
I agree with Gary, and while he may have only had a single example of where GNU wouldn't apply, the majority of people should still understand that we are for the most part referring to the same thing. I don't know of a single person (in real life) that refers to it as GNU/Linux. I've personally had this occur a few times (mostly on YouTube) and honestly I just ignore it. Live by the advice, "Don't feed the trolls/SJW's".

Offline brocksolid95

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:15:32 AM »
I think it's very important to give credit to RMS and his colleagues for all their work on the GNU operating system. You can't have a Penguin without a Gnu.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »
It is possible to have a Linux operating system without GNU software; some examples are Alpine Linux, Busybox or Android. This is a 2 sided argument which comes up over and over again and I am in agreement with Linus Torvalds' view.

I will only refer to distributions as GNU/Linux if the FSF has acknowledged them HERE. Otherwise, I will call the distribution by name. You may have noticed I will sometimes say "Linux Kernel based system" in some of my videos. It is well documented that GNU is not required to operate a Linux based system. I know this argument will never go away but I cannot please everyone so the aforementioned is my personal compromise.