Havin a manjaro cup of linux cd version only?
Welcome, Guest.
"When government fears the people, there is LIBERTY.  When the people fear the government, there is TYRANNY." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Havin a manjaro cup of linux cd version only?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline niculinux

Havin a manjaro cup of linux cd version only?
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:24 PM »
Hello, folks had a fine day? Sure with the brand new relase of manjaro - cup of linux edition! (sounds like a commercial, actually) ;D

OK, let's go straight to the point: I'd like to tell; would be nice if form the next edition the distro would fit on a cd (that is to say, sized less than 700 MB). In fact aside from manjaro openbox, the other versions ara avaiable only in DVD size format, so I thought this would fill a current gap, moreover it'd give us a more "minimal" system which we may build on top of; for instance i'm really not into programming so I'mgonna never use that qt4 developement stuff, whatever it is...

What do you think? thanks even for reading, and long live Spatry :-* newbielink:https://plus.google.com/102200985879075194067 [nonactive] <3

EDIT BY SPATRY... Now you can boot from USB on ANY computer! This solves the problem whena distro is too big to fit on CD!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:24:43 PM by Spatry »
"The only thing you need because the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

(Edmund Burke)

Offline DolphinT

• -: #! :-
    • Hy on Soundcloud
Re: Havin a manjaro cup of linux cd version only?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
Well, there is a Manjaro minimal XFCE version that fits on a CD, see here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Manjaro-Linux-Xfce-Minimal-103259.shtml

You could 'Cup of Linux' it with The Boss' wallpapers and theming i guess?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:14:35 PM »
I attempted to make the edition as small as I could. To make the distro small enough to fit on a cd would have involved removing a lot of features which would not only take away functionality but would also make it less user friendly. 

Moved to feature requests area.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline niculinux

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
Thanks Dolphintoad, but the point was about chanches to have the "boss edition" a little bit smaller in size, since I'm very incompetent in linux, would be nice for me have all it ready for the use without programs not used by newbies :D

Ah ok spatry I see, but how about to at least giving a shot? Otherwise guess I'll have to give up..well no problems then ;D

Edit: following the page kindly posted by dolphintoad, the versions avaiable are 0.8.9 an 0.8.10 pre0 both 32 and 64 bit!

download links here:

newbielink:http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Manjaro-Linux-Xfce-Minimal-Download-103259.html [nonactive]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:41:16 PM by niculinux »
"The only thing you need because the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

(Edmund Burke)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »
if you can boot your computer cm USB you can put this spin on a flash drive. Also you can use PLOP which is a live CD which will let you boot from a USB even if your hardware does not support it! PLOP is well documented and it should get you what you want. Then you can install ANY distro regardless of size!

ADDED VIDEO TO ORIGINAL POST SHOWING PLOP IN ACTION!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!