Greetings from the non-gambling part of Las Vegas
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Greetings from the non-gambling part of Las Vegas  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Gooplusplus

• Radio Jukebox for PC, tablet, and smartphone
Greetings from the non-gambling part of Las Vegas
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
Greetings, folks. I came here via Aussie Blaine Packer's Infinitely Galactic Youtube channel.

I have experimented with quite a few Linux distros and have a non-commercial web page of pre-packaged sets of YUMI-compatible USB multiboot collections available via bittorrent. I select distros with an emphasis on small sizes, speed, and unique features. I also try to find distros that might be an easy transition for Windows users.

I've gotten behind a bit on adding new collections but with Ubuntu 14.04 and derivatives due soon I should have some new sets within a month or so. I would post a link to the page but as a new member, I will only post if requested. (You can always Google my username + multiboot + collections.)

For various reasons, in my house, we mostly use Windows but I can always dual-boot into a highly customized Zorin 7.1 lite. Personally I prefer Openbox and KDE but I'll be taking a look at newer XFCE distros. I am not a gamer and I have no need for Compiz.

A few smaller distros that I like, particularly on USB, are Porteus, Puppy, and OpenElec's XBMC. Somewhat larger, Manjaro is coming along nicely. I only wish there was an easy way for Manjaro to package "persistence" on USB like there is with Ubuntu and its derivatives.

My latest hobby web project is a single screen click-to-play radio jukebox of over 240 internet radio stations. While Chrome, Firefox, Midori, and Web/Epiphany work fine with the site, several other Linux browsers have still not implemented HTML5 audio controls correctly: Konqueror, Opera, SeaMonkey, and others. (Again, link on request.)

BTW, I was unable to upload an avatar successfully even though I tried various size and file formats:

The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:

The avatar you have selected is either too large or not an avatar.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:17:36 PM by Gooplusplus »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Greetings from the non-gambling part of Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
Googleplusplus, thanks for taking the time to drop in and say hello! We are glad you found our community and look forward to interacting with you. If you are looking for a nice XFCE distribution you may consider Manjaro XFCE, SolydX or Linux Lite. All of these distributions are great choices. Finally, when uploading your avatar, the image dimensions are to be no greater than 60px x 60px. Staff members are immune to the size limitation.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Gooplusplus

• Radio Jukebox for PC, tablet, and smartphone
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:42:17 AM »
It seems that my normal black background avatar does not look very good that small.
Oh, well.

I might suggest that to save others from possibly wasting time assuming that 125x125 (the size of other avatars on this forum) is permissible, you could change the profile option text from:

old: Upload an avatar
new: Upload an avatar (60x60 max)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:51:55 AM »
The text is hardcoded into the framework... It would take a while to find it and edit. I am pretty sure I addressed this in the forum support section on the site.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 02:54:46 AM »
welcome to the Spatry's cup of linux forum Gooplusplus, hope you enjoy your stay here ;)
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
welcome to the cup of linux gooplusplus were everyone is the lovers of linux and the work spatry does hope you enjoy your stay
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.