What's wrong with Arch ?
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: What's wrong with Arch ?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline eronis

What's wrong with Arch ?
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:15:57 AM »
I'm a former Archer (for 3 years) but these days i feel a bit scared of it. I felt Fedora was more stable esspecially on KDE so i swiched to Fedora 26 for a while. Right now i'm using Manjaro KDE. No crashes again. Why do this happen ? Is manjaro more stable or is it just my half assed Linux knowledge hit me hard in Arch ? I'm talking for KDE Plasma but on Arch Linux i had a lot of crashes on KDE side. No testing or unstable repos enabled. Is it because of Manjaro KDE comes preconfigured or is it because it uses more stable software than Arch ?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: What's wrong with Arch ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:32 AM »
Manjaro is different from Arch in that the packages are tested and patched before being sent downstream to users, this makes the system more stable. Additionally, utilities are included to make the distribution more user friendly. I advise anyone to build Arch (following their awesome beginner guide) to have an appreciation for what Manjaro brings to the table.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: What's wrong with Arch ?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
yes, a good deal of the issue between Manjaro and Arch is the package update release cycle.

As I understand it (and I could be slightly off on the exact timing here) Arch Unstable is basically: "this new package came out, here try it 'as is' without any testing"... Arch Testing is maybe a week behind that; Arch Stable is another week or two behind that.

Manjaro Unstable is basically Arch Stable (with the added Manjaro stuff)... Manjaro Testing is about a week or two behind that, and Manjaro Stable is another week or two behind that..
So, in the end, if you are on Manjaro Stable, you're likely about 2 to 2 1/2 months behind the actual bare bones untested package release... and somewhere around 1 month behind the Arch Stable version.

That extra testing tends to have a lot of impact.