SSL added to this site
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: SSL added to this site  (Read 3421 times)

Offline OrvilleG

SSL added to this site
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
FROM SPATRY:

I have added SSL to the website. Because there are too many links to insecure elements using the HTTP standard, I am unable to fix those problems and you will need to click the icon on the address bar and ALLOW insecure (graphics & video) elements to display.

This is only for those of you who want secure logins.

NOTE: Using SSL on this site is optional... If you desire SSL you must manually type "https" into your address bar and you can update your bookmarks to use the addition. Unlike Google, I do not force people to change.

-----------

I think it would be a good idea to add SSL.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:05:57 AM by Spatry »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Any plans for SSL on the website Spatry?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
Only if I want to dump the entire forum database and start anew! I tried adding SSL to this site when it was new and it completely BORKED the forum, videos would not display properly and my HTML5 applets would not work right either! That was a major headache so I ended up rolling back the changes so we could have a functional board.

Now since this in an INFORMATION resource and there is NO financial transactions going through this website, I really do not see the need for having SSL... It is my understanding that Google will penalize webmasters for this in the future. and at that time I may consider passing on the torch to someone who wants to carry it so I may focus on other areas of interest.

I am gonna bite the bullet and try to get SSL working but BE ASSURED some graphics, videos or other page elements WILL NOT display anymore at the cost of added security... I will not have time to correct most of these issues... I will only fix the ones critical to site operations.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: Any plans for SSL on the website Spatry?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
Only if I want to dump the entire forum database and start anew! I tried adding SSL to this site when it was new and it completely BORKED the forum, videos would not display properly and my HTML5 applets would not work right either! That was a major headache so I ended up rolling back the changes so we could have a functional board.

Now since this in an INFORMATION resource and there is NO financial transactions going through this website, I really do not see the need for having SSL... It is my understanding that Google will penalize webmasters for this in the future and at that time I may consider passing on the torch to someone who wants to carry it so I may focus on other areas of interest.

I don't know what forum software you use, but i know that a lot of them give you the ability to backup and restore databases. as for the HTML5 applets and video thing, i have no idea how to go about fixing that.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
SSL Added to the site
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
I found a free SSL provider I must renew every 3 months I installed via the control panel but I do not see anything happening.... I guess we wait... it said it was successfully installed... I went to https://www.cupoflinux.com and the graphics would not load.... I installed the certificates though.... I guess we get a partially working website at the expense of security <facepalm>.
-----------------------
Godaddy wants to charge a fee for SSL and monthly donations for this site are not enough to cover it...
-----------------------
OK I tried adding SSL again and that means overhauling the website... my HTML 5 navigation panel refuses to work... leaving an empty space and critical site functions cannot be accessed...
-----------------------
This site says we have SSL installed and working properly
Now I have to go through all of the PHP files and correct the syntax so HTML5 can display... Looks like this will keep me busy for a while!
-----------------------
I am throwing in the towel on this one.... editing the site so all of the graphics to display will be too much work and unfortunately, I do not have the necessary time to dedicate to repairing all of the server files... SSL is there for those who want secure logins but you are gonna have to allow unsecured elements if you want them to display... I am moving this to Forum Support & Feature requests where it belongs.

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Re: Any plans for SSL on the website Spatry?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
I am gonna bite the bullet and try to get SSL working but BE ASSURED some graphics, videos or other page elements WILL NOT display anymore at the cost of added security... I will not have time to correct most of these issues... I will only fix the ones critical to site operations.

I'll keep an eye out for any posts that are affected and make corrections as needed to ensure content is being displayed properly.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: SSL added to this site
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
As stated, clicking the icon in the address bar will let the old content display. SSL is not being forced on anyone here... The powers that be... who insist on secure connections will not mind missing out on a few graphics and videos at the expense of having their tin foil hats finely tuned. ROFL!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Re: SSL added to this site
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »
As stated, clicking the icon in the address bar will let the old content display. SSL is not being forced on anyone here... The powers that be... who insist on secure connections will not mind missing out on a few graphics and videos at the expense of having their tin foil hats finely tuned. ROFL!

Ah, gotcha. Missed that detail earlier. I'm sure anyone wanting to utilize SSL will utilize the appropriate workarounds to get non-secure content to load. Not sure a lot of us will end up utilizing SSL though... Again, as you stated earlier, there aren't any financial transactions taking place on this site or sensitive information being stored, so there really isn't a need for it.

At least the Google "overlords" will be happy. I'm sure they don't care about content not loading as long as the site has SSL as an option.  8)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
GOODBYE GOOGLE! USE DUCKDUCKGO!

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: SSL added to this site
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »
GOODBYE GOOGLE! USE DUCKDUCKGO!

Personally, i prefer Google because the search results seem to be more accurate for me. Plus they already have my info because i use stock Android on my phone.

However, If I could make the switch, I would.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:38 PM »
If you do not switch to duckduckgo 10 minutes ago, I will sweet talk Dirty Helga into BANNING YOU!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »
...AND if you don't switch to Windows 10 and Kick Manjaro to the curb, I WILL BAN YOU, SPATRY!

I am willing to bet that Spat will be cussing and swearing as soon as he starts using M$ Edge and BING! The equivalent of deliberately slamming your fingers in the car door while holding an egg and expecting it not to crack! HAH!

If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!