[SOLVED] Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
Welcome, Guest.
He could not keep viruses out of Windows! Do you want Bill Gates' MANDATORY Covid-19 Vaccine? Sign this petition!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
Perhaps I didn't give the right explanation. Internet connection in lower right corner shows ethernet connection but gives nothing for wifi. I cannot even connect via hotspot on my phone. I suppose I will have to wait for my own internet service to be set up so I can hard wire the laptop and then install the chipset driver

When I was running Linux Lite (ubuntu) on this notebook I had the same issue and I needed to have a wired connection to fix the problem. The links supplied by CwF should get your started but if memory serves I remember having to install a PPA to get the correct firmware installed. Since I do not know which version of Kubuntu you are running I cannot direct you to the correct commands to add this PPA but you can find the launchpad for broadcom HERE and that should have up to date drivers for you.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
You know, the ONE thing I make sure to check anymore when selecting a linux laptop is wireless, Broadcom is a dealbreaker.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

• If at first you don't succeed - sudo
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
When I run the command lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network it shows that I have the bcm43228 chipset. It also shows kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge. I wonder if this is showing a driver is in place.
Also, I can go in to network manager and create a wi-fi connection. When I copy in all the necessary info it does nothing and does not connect

Post Merge: March 29, 2018, 03:56:56 PM
You know, the ONE thing I make sure to check anymore when selecting a linux laptop is wireless, Broadcom is a dealbreaker.

This machine is a dell with the broadcom chipset and it works beautifully. It is a desktop unit with a core i3 CPU.
I have never had any wifi trouble with this Dell
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:56:56 PM by Detroit_Bad_Boy »
"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" - (HAL 9000) 2001: A Space Odyssey

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
can you connect the phone to the laptop via a USB cable?

Download the packages you need to the phone, transfer to the laptop via USB, install, problem solved.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
I have to ask... is THIS the deb file you are trying to transfer over to the affected machine? I did some digging around this afternoon and it seems some people have had success with it...

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »
I downloaded the cutter and the driver. The driver will not install due to a dependency issue. The cutter cannot install as Konsole does not find it. I have no clue to tell it where to look.
What am I missing here?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
I think it is time for me to post a RANT!

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
I have to ask... is THIS the deb file you are trying to transfer over to the affected machine? I did some digging around this afternoon and it seems some people have had success with it...

I installed that package but nothing happened. I even reboooted with no luck

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
You may have to search the Ubuntu forums and try EACH method they suggest to get the broadcom wifi working... I remember having to go through a list of suggestions until I finally got it... Persistence is key. There is a solution but I had to work to find it! Because I no longer use Ubuntu based systems I did not save my notes on what I did to get it operational.

<LIGHTBULB>
Have you considered trying the NDISWRAPPER? It comes bundled with many of the Buntu distros and it will let you use a WINDOWS driver to get that wifi interface working.... there are plenty of tutorials explaining how to use ndiswrapper... so why not give that a try???

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »
I installed that package but nothing happened. I even reboooted with no luck

double check, type " lspci -d 14e4: " in a terminal and see if there is any feedback. None = wrong package, if there is feedback it will be details for you broadcom... hopefully. If so, next step is configuring whatever

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
double check, type " lspci -d 14e4: " in a terminal and see if there is any feedback. None = wrong package, if there is feedback it will be details for you broadcom... hopefully. If so, next step is configuring whatever

It shows Broadcom BCM43228. Apparently it may have gone right

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
It shows Broadcom BCM43228. Apparently it may have gone right

YAH! I left out if you add a -v to the command it should show the driver in use. From here we are outside my knowledge in KDE and Ubuntu. But as I bail out, the step may be as I expected; whatever networking is in use may need to be told what to do, what to use. Somewhere you will need to add the name of the device to use with/as wifi. The name to fill in will may be something like "wlx#######. where the ### is the mac address without any dividers (:). So try and determine what needs the info, the name of the wifi device as determined by your distro, and what that name is. I use wicd for all my machines since it's simple and leaves all but the first eth port alone and has an obvious wifi config area to type in the name of the device. I think you are almost there!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 12:47:12 AM »
I'm not saying that broadcom cards cannot or will not work, I'm just saying that generally they've caused enough headaches that it's easier to get something that DOES work effortlessly like an Atheros chip.   If you're re-purposing a machine that you already owned, this isn't really an option, but if you're buying new just avoid Broadcom and save yourself the hassle.  I have 2 laptops that work effortlessly, one has intel wireless and the other has Atheros wireless, the only thing I've ever had to do is make sure the firmware package gets installed and they just work, and with *buntus the firmware generally seems to have been automatically installed with the system.

This machine is a dell with the broadcom chipset and it works beautifully. It is a desktop unit with a core i3 CPU.
I have never had any wifi trouble with this Dell
s
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
I'm in his position also, relying on a 4G hotspot. Having a long history of never being in one place it was a waste to pay for any more permanent solution. To avoid the entire subject I converted an ancient W54G router to be the hotspot receiver and then have real wired ports for zero config on any computer. Slow maybe, but fast enough for typical 4G. I bought a strange little usb wifi that looks like a little baby router with two external antennas and used it a few times in my truck. Often in my areas satellite or p2p microwave was the only type of internet and even 4G was out of range. Anyway, I adopted many usb dongles along the way, people just give me stuff. So moving into linux I had those wired ports on the old router to fall back on. So when I finally tackled the issue on vacation, yes, geek homework on vacation, I used a bare debian machine and started testing. After all the frustration demonstrated here I got them all working. Compared with phones, laptops, tablets, etc, the results all were similar with 5-7 signals seen and similar speeds. Then I remembered that chinese mini router thing which turned out to be a RALINK something. When I got it working it blew me away, showing a good 20+ signals! More than any device we all had. Back at home I confirmed it out receives even the modded full size router I'm using. Anyway, point is they all worked. One thing I've learned with linux is there is often not one way to do things and that makes it all very confusing. And "automagically" is not a linux talent. We don't know if he's out of the water yet....

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
I'll keep working on the issue. Once I get a hardwired connection I should be able to resolve it faster than DL'ing stuff, put it on a flash drive, then running to the laptop to try it out. Thanx for everyone's input on this issue. It is much appreciated.

Post Merge: March 30, 2018, 09:01:33 PM
I found an older version of manjaro. I pop in the install flash drive and isntantly it recognizes my wifi. This should solve my situation. I can DL all updates to bring it up to speed. What a relief this is!!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:01:33 PM by Detroit_Bad_Boy »