[SOLVED] Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
Welcome, Guest.
He could not keep viruses out of Windows! Do you want Bill Gates' MANDATORY Covid-19 Vaccine? Sign this petition!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

• If at first you don't succeed - sudo
First I cannot read the tiny lettering that shows the exact latitude model
To the heart of the matter kubuntu will recognize wired connection but no wireless connection.
Any help would be appreciated
"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" - (HAL 9000) 2001: A Space Odyssey

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
Well, you know about what model it is, right. Get on Dells site and determine every possible chipset they used in your family of laptop. Get the part #.

Then combine that model number(s) with words like firmware and ubuntu and googduckbing around awhile until you come up with the needed firmware deb.

Then load it.

I thought ubuntu had some fancy detection and software center that would do this for you, but the method stated is what I do with Debian and there's all the info out there you need. Tangents include how to install a deb, how to ask the system (lsusb, lsmod), what utility to use to control it all (wicd).

As I understand it some wifi thingies are still not supported.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:15:35 PM »
What kind of wireless chipset is it?  You might want to check if the linux-firmware package is installed as it contains the firmware for a lot of different PCI hardware.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Here is what I want to achieve:
Since it would be an arduous task to get kubuntu to recognize the BCM3422 chipset in the laptop, I have shifted gears. 
I know that manjaro works VERY well with the laptop and gives instant wifi connection. The problem with that installation is that I have to use a flash drive for the install. I tried to create a UEFI flash drive with manjaro loaded on it, but all I have is Unetbootin and that does not have the UEFI capability. 
Is there a program that works with kubuntu that creates a true UEFI flash drive with the OS of my choice loaded on it?

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
 BCM3422
 This would do the trick?

Package: firmware-b43-installer (1:019-2) [contrib]

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
I am running off wifi hotspot through my phone. No internet here at my new place yet so I cannot hardwire the laptop.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Kubuntu not recognizing wlan0 on dell latitude laptop
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Here is what I want to achieve:
Since it would be an arduous task to get kubuntu to recognize the BCM3422 chipset in the laptop, I have shifted gears.
I know that manjaro works VERY well with the laptop and gives instant wifi connection. The problem with that installation is that I have to use a flash drive for the install. I tried to create a UEFI flash drive with manjaro loaded on it, but all I have is Unetbootin and that does not have the UEFI capability.
Is there a program that works with kubuntu that creates a true UEFI flash drive with the OS of my choice loaded on it?

I've had great success with ether, dd on the command line also tends to work without fail.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
I'm not yet proficient with command line usage. I am becoming frustrated with this issue.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
You may not need to be!
So you need a way to get the firmware file you need onto the computer that has no internet? Is this right? You don't have a copy of the firmware.deb needed on the computer or a CD or anything?
You are using your phone for access? Yes?
If so you need to download the deb I mentioned, or double check if ubuntu has it's own version. Get it onto the phone. From there, get it on the computer. From there figure out how to install it...
Or, take the laptop anywhere you can wire in! Fix it in the software center of ubuntu. maybe...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
If the cell phone has WIFI tethering you could use that...

Of further interest, I use "FX file explorer pro" on android and it has WIFI hotspot which allows me to transfer files from my phone to my PC using the wireless network or my phone's tethering support... "Wifi file transfer pro" also lets you do the same thing...

Downloading content to the phone to transfer to the computer is always a nice option... my mobile doubles as a USB stick
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
...can't use the wifi! That's what is not working!? Bluetooth, usb, sdcard,...
haven't even got to installing a foreign deb yet...
I used on of those mtk chipset chinese spy-on-me military phones forever that had a cdrom mode, mount an iso from it's sdcard bootable or not and every computer tried could read it.
Anyway I'm hoping his ubuntu has gdebi preinstalled... I stopped paying attention to ubuntu's but unless you know what to do a fresh install needs to be from a non-free media. At least for debian, a bare install includes few firmwares.
I've been in this very trap.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
For some reason I can't type, the program I usually use is Etcher, it's easy and comes as an appimage.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
That is quite odd considering I have had pretty good experience with DELL computers in the past. Broadcom has always been a major PITA where linux compatibility is concerned. The only distribution which will power my broadcom hardware out of the box is Manjaro when you boot the LIVE image in nonfree mode. <sigh>
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »

Perhaps I didn't give the right explanation. Internet connection in lower right corner shows ethernet connection but gives nothing for wifi. I cannot even connect via hotspot on my phone. I suppose I will have to wait for my own internet service to be set up so I can hard wire the laptop and then install the chipset driver

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
I think you did describe it right. Think of the this is parts. The indicator you mention is likely "network manager", or ONE part. It shows the wired network on behalf of another part, the driver package for your wired hardware. A third part would be the driver package for your wifi chip. That is what is missing.

Go here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
maybe here too: https://askubuntu.com/questions/730799/installing-firmware-b43-installer-offline
Once you got that covered, let us know.You may get snagged trying to get the deb installed. Next you may want to use wicd instead of network manager and either may need some configuration. This is fixable!