Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Now: Ubuntu 20.04. Previously: OpenSUSE/Manjaro
Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
Looks pretty interesting. Considering how large the Android app ecosystem is now, this might not actually be a bad idea, especially on touchscreen desktop all-in-ones or touch laptops. Phoenix OS is based on the Android x86 project code, but with a custom theme and panel to make it more desktop friendly on non-touch devices and allows separate windows for apps unlike regular Android. Android x86 is a straight port of stock Android with no UI changes, which makes it rather cumbersome to use. If anyone wants to check it out:
www.phoenixos.com

I definitely will try this out on my HP Pavilion 11 inch netbook, which happens to have a touchscreen.
Theo!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »
Going to have to give it a try. Didn't have much luck getting Android x86 to work on my AIO desktop or laptop, but hoping to have better luck with this one. :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:47:21 AM »
I think lots of people are switching to tablets rather than using a regular computer... makes sense this day in age....
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
I think lots of people are switching to tablets rather than using a regular computer... makes sense this day in age....

Interesting story...Back in the days before the iPad I was on the idea of a "tablet" where the concept we know from apple, the trust fund baby that steals everything yet has the public trust to pass it off as their own, was in the early stage and the focus was a "client" gadget for on premises use that offered what is now expected but didn't exist then. So, an A size (11x7") and a C size (11x17") gray scale (matrox) "terminal" that was wifi tethered to the local system, ie the hospital or base, etc. Useless if you stole it, no device storage, no general purpose programs, no facebook app. No mics or camera or speakers or any current expected gadget...Special purpose, yet it did have very hi-res (C did) screen and a digitizer, or rather a "touch screen". Obviously is was killed by the "new" ipad with "revolutionary" technology...gag
 Well, I'm still behind the idea, and without the mass production of a consumer product it will never make it...
 Fast forward and a few years ago I was intrigued by another specialized use of the same format for engineering types and artist. This time C and D size, and still tethered to a real computer with real horsepower. So a few thousand maybe to the architect world and artist waiting for used ones. Still no "MASS".
 So to tie it in, I've said here before in a mix of threads, Android is still my prediction pick for the OS of the future.
 To connect the dots for those that don't see the tie in, android in it's current state would have been light years ahead of either phase of my thinking and would have been practically off the shelf.
 I still think it was a good idea...and still firmly debian.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Android On The Desktop? Phoenix OS
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
Tablets are ok for for content consumption, not very good otherwise.

If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
Most people who access the internet are content consumers... Computers are for us ELITE creative types! HA HA HA HA HA
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!