POLL: BORDERLESS WINDOWS?
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: POLL: BORDERLESS WINDOWS?  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
POLL: BORDERLESS WINDOWS?
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »
Manjaro Cup of Linux edition ships with BORDERLESS Windows by default. I am interested in knowing what the community thinks about them.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline computerkid9

• I do not obey RULES!
Re: BORDERLESS WINDOWS?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
I prefer having window borders on the system.It makes it easier to move,rezize and maximize.Also I got used to having window borders.
Mario Uribe,
Member of Cup of Linux and the Linux Distro Community
A Current user of Manjaro 0.8.9

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
I have voted for having BOTH options available to me, if you don't want the borderless windows it is easy to change but it is not so easy to make a borderless window so .... .
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
Personally I prefer window borders, but I voted both, as for me I also like choice, one reason I love Linux

Offline M.S.M.

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
Windows borders for sure by default. so new users don't freak out when they see it for the first time. but have the option for those that want it. personally i prefer having borders.       I believe that the end user should not be aware of the system.   Meaning if you are writing a document, or editing video, or whatever.  the underling OS should be the last thing on your mind.  That's a key component to a good user experience.   trying to remember how to move your windows around steps outside of that zone in my opinion. For customization reasons yes, make it an option.  But make it an opt in rather than an opt out.   just my opinion.   ;)

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
I do enjoy the borderless windows but as Matthew said for beginner users it might freak them out if they didn't see the prior video or documentation. I think leaving the toggle switch but having it deafult to borders would be best.

Offline Tea

Re: POLL: BORDERLESS WINDOWS?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
As I said on irc, I find not having them frustrating. Having always had borders form win3/gem onward you do have a tendency to get used to them.

But give a choice, a toggle between the two.

Offline blindpcguy

• mac and linux tie windows next
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
i voted both because i havent tried cup of linux edition yet so i havent experenced bourderless windows. i say a toggle during installation would be the best a scren that says do you want borderlss or bourdered windows and it defaults to what you c hoos.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Master Yoda

Offline GamerDisturbed

• Welcome to the circus of values.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
I'm with the majority. No borders are better for saving screen space but aesthetically in my opinion the borders make the windows look a lot better.

Offline niculinux

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »
I' like full-bordered windows, there's already openbox manjaro community edition for those who not want these :)
"The only thing you need because the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

(Edmund Burke)

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
I had to use borderless windows earlier. Emerald crashed, and I was in the middle of watching a video (Hehe, it was Paul McGann's episode (film) of Doctor Who, Spatry might like that) and was using other programs in the background just using ALT+drag to go about. It was certainly a experience... maybe a future thing.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
I think it should be there as an option.  I personally like having them there unless maximized in which case I care more about space.  In KDE it's an edit in a config file, so not too hard, but like the borderless windows in mCOLe it's not exactly easy to activate or deactivate without knowing about it.  Maybe a readme being added into the distro that a new user would see on or during install would help users know how to deactivate it? I think it should be something you opt in to though.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
Ive just started using borderless, I must say its great!

Offline TheTexasRAT

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 01:37:25 AM »
I tried the borderless style and it is just too weird for me having to relearn how to do stuff.
I personally like the border looks as well. But I did figure out how to undo the borderless windows and from then on out I am happy.

I know it all boils down to personal taste, but as one coming from Windows over to Linux it is easier if Windows users do not have to relearn every thing all at once in my opinion. That is one reason Windows users go back to Windows after trying Linux because it can be over whelming. And If Linux is ever going to become #1 the need to make the change easier for new people.

After people are won over to the Linux world and finally get into the customization of Linux they are already getting used to having to read about how to do stuff and working through it all so they should be alright with having to opt into stuff more than new people having to figure out how to undo stuff so that they can get used to Linux with little issues as possible.

I would like to see Linux as the #1 OS in the world but it is going to have to become user friendly for Windows users first before people will migrate over in groves. So Making them have to study up on how to make it easier for them to figure out how to use Linux would defeat the goal of putting Windows under the swatter in my opinion.
and remember, wisdom never lies inked to the pages coddled by a book
but yet rather supply about the inside of open minds that render the confounds thereof.

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »
To be honest, I love having minimal to non-existant borders. However, I still prefer having a minimal title bar with small window controls to allow for me to be able to easy move around windows, however I just couldn't adjust to not having them. I think the only thing that irks me about missing both the title bar and the window controls is that I have to perform two additional steps in order to move a window rather than clicking it with my mouse and dragging it or hitting the window controls to accomplish what I am wanting to do in just one step. I am a fan with how you themed MCOL though. Just personally can't do without the title bar and the window controls. Personal preference. I can see how it does look a lot cleaner without them. I guess old habits die hard.