Greetings Linux folks
Welcome, Guest.

Something to Think About:

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Greetings Linux folks  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Mack

Greetings Linux folks
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
Having enjoyed Spatry's videos for a couple of years thought I would sign up to the boards.
I have been building/refurbishing PCs for years and never miss an opportunity to get people using Linux. Even the silver surfers find that it's a very usable system once shown the basics..

Started using Linux with SUSE 9 (KDE) (when it was a purchase but came with two fat manuals) and was blown away by the very cool desktop and how easily things just worked. Tried a few other distros over time usually dual booted with that other OS and over time found I was spending more time in Linux for general computing stuff. Settled on Mint around version 9. It's done me well and I see no reason to distro hop other than having a look (so I have used a couple of virtual machines) but I am looking now to create an audio (and maybe video/mulimedia) system so I am having a look around. I would like to use Debian, but I am British, I demand a correctly spelled interface and so far haven't been able to change that from American spelling even though the locales change easily enough.

So I am going to have a look at doing this in Manjaro and installing the Low Latency kernel and builing it up as I need to.

Isn't Linux just fun!

Thanks to Spatry and crew for a great service and entertainment. I can't promise to be very regular in here, but I will pop in as often as I am able/need to or remember.. 

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
Welcome Mack,

and I for one say go for it with Manjaro... but then I'm biased!
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Greetings Linux folks
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum pop a squat and thx for joining feom around the world
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
Welcome Mack! Glad to have you with us. I agree that Linux has definitely made leaps and bounds in regard to ease of use. My daily driver at the moment is Mint 18.2 which has been working remarkably well on my laptop. I used Manjaro and while I really enjoyed my time on it, there were a couple applications that I use frequently that weren't available from the Manjaro repos and wouldn't build correctly from the AUR. Probably could have built from source, however didn't have the time to invest into troubleshooting the problem. In terms of included features and usability, I have nothing but great things to say about both. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mack

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and apologies it's taken me so long to get back.. Life gets in the way! However, I seem to have a couple of spare hard drives so now all I need is some spare time and I can have a crack at Manjaro and seeing what I can do with it,
I shall have a look around the boards during the week,,

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
Welcome, Mack. There is a lot of Manjaro content, some of it might be dated so if you do run into any issues, feel free to start a new thread. For the most part, Manjaro has been trouble free for many but I have noticed a trend for issues with legacy hardware.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline DQSII

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »
Hola Mack And Greetings From The Resident Gentoo User Of The Community ;)

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
Good to have you back, Mack and hope the setups go smoothly.
Joe Johnston

Online pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 12:28:34 AM »
Welcome, Mack! Hope all is well! We look forward to having you!
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!