Debian 9 XFCE4-Terminal fonts not showing up correctly
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Debian 9 XFCE4-Terminal fonts not showing up correctly  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Marcos Melendez

Debian 9 XFCE4-Terminal fonts not showing up correctly
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »
Hey Cup of Linux Community. I have a question, pertaining to Debian 9 With XFCE. You see, whenever I use the xfce terminal, the menu letters are way to close together when I am in the Ambience and other GTK Themes. However, when I have the theme set to Adwaita Dark, the letters are evenly spaced out. I'll include a link to my google drive for the images. So, my question is: Is it a system problem or theme problem? What packages do I need to install so I don't see that problem anymore? Thanks so much for the support in advance. :) 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B64cW6GC-lWCdlNoVnk0MXplU28 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B64cW6GC-lWCWXhnQmUyeklsSU0
Windows Reboot 1..2..3.. BSOD
LINUX REBOOT 1..2..3.. DONE!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Debian 9 XFCE4-Terminal fonts not showing up correctly
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
That seems like a really odd bug. I wonder if it is not applying the theme correctly? If you close out of terminal and go back into it, does the font still look condensed? What about logging off and back in? I know that some of the older themes wouldn't correctly apply until doing so. Let us know if that works. If not, it could be the theme itself.

Offline Marcos Melendez

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:20 PM »
 Yes i have tried rebooting the system and reapplying the themes. It is still condensed. However, when i use lxterminal or any other distro, the fonts are not condensed.
Windows Reboot 1..2..3.. BSOD
LINUX REBOOT 1..2..3.. DONE!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »
You could try XTerm and customize it independently?

Offline sapphire

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
That's not a bug that's a theme gtk3 themes missing codes inside gtk.css. If you remove gtk-3.0 files & folder off and remain gtk-2.0 folder inside theme will display properly but that means no gtk3 support you've to use gtkrc from gtk2.0 to control that theme.

You don't see on lxterminal and other because they're not using gtk3. You can check by install Uget and you'll see it broke as xfce4-terminal. It affect on gtk3 apps that didn't support gtk2 & gtk3 properly.

I've been played around with Fedora, Xubuntu, Debian & other Xfce distro and saw the same. There's nothing you can do than change to the other theme that support gtk3 theme for Xfce. Like Numix, Blackbird, Greybird these worked. But Bluebird and other gtk3 themes ain't worked with Xfce.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:43:42 AM by sapphire »
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"