Does distro effect WINE/PLAYONLINUX experience ?
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: Does distro effect WINE/PLAYONLINUX experience ?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline eronis

Does distro effect WINE/PLAYONLINUX experience ?
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:54:56 AM »
I'm running 16.04 with Unity right now. I could play skyrim before but it doesn't work anymore. Actually, I suspect when I've installed some modes on it some mods required java. I've installed it on ppa, I think that should be ok but what do you think ? Could it be because of java requirement ?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: Does distro effect WINE/PLAYONLINUX experience ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:49:09 AM »
Could be a number of things, to be honest. Do you mind posting your hardware-specs?
Remember, that Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't support fglrx (or more so, fglrx doesn't support Xorg >= 1.18 which Ubuntu 16.04 uses), so if you have an AMD Radeon card, that could be the issue.

Also, if you use a very heavy DE and your hardware can barely run the game anyways, your DE could be the issue as well.

Also, what do you mean by "doesn't work"? Could you explain / be a bit more specific?
Does the game work without mods?

Edit:
Also, which WINE-version are you using? different versions can have different performance for specific games
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:55:57 AM by JayVii »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline eronis

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
My hardware;

İ3 2100
AMD HD 5670
4GB DDR3 1333mhz
Skyrim worked fine last time I've installed it and actually I was using the same version. 1.9.20. I've tried 1.7.36 (pol forum) and 1.9.4 (spatry's video) as recommended and I've tried 1.9.18 and 1.9.16 aswell.
I was running Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity.
This picture sums up my real problem.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wine freezes, I can not stop wine processes, can't close windows, can't even access configure wine from playonlinux. When I reboot my pc it fixes my problem temporarily, when I try it again, same issue. I wonder if it was an Ubuntu specific problem. I know most of Ubuntu packages are buggy (in main repos). I wonder, maybe using another distro like manjaro could help ?

Post Merge: November 23, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
I guess I had less FPS on fglrx drivers on manjaro rather than free ones. I guess same would go for 16.04 too ? I don't think it's a driver issue because my graphics card is always broken on linux :D If I want it to work, I go with Windows 10 :D
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
I went through some test trying to decide windows within linux viability and my best functioning wine was on Zorin with proprietary ATI HD7750. It was very good, and was even a hardware passed VM. On a 750Ti with open drives under Xubuntu the wine solution was very buggy. Ultimately I gave up and found x2vnc with a real and separate XP box integrated windows functionality perfectly for me.

Offline Raklödder

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
Most of the time it comes down to your kernel and graphics driver.