Prevent compiz startup failure in xfce
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Prevent compiz startup failure in xfce  (Read 1945 times)

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
Prevent compiz startup failure in xfce
« on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
Hello All

I've noticed following recent updates to both arch and manjaro that compiz is not starting correctly leaving the desktop blank upon startup, the issue appears to stem from the cache folder, these instructions will prevent the cache folder from being written to. 

1. Right click on your desktop and open a terminal (Or use your keyboard shortcut, type
xfwm4 --replace and hit enter

2. Navigate to your home folder, hit ctrl h to show your hidden folders, open your cache folder and delete it's contents, close your file manager

3. Go back to your terminal and enter sudo chmod 500 ~/.cache, this will add read only permissions to the cache folder

4. Reboot

This method is great if like myself you use "compiz --replace" and "emerald --replace" in sessions and startup rather than using the fusion icon 

Feedback is welcome and appreciated

Hope this helps someone :-)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Prevent compiz startup failure in xfce
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
Thanks for the share. I have frozen compiz from updating from the AUR until I am certain that new updates are not breaking things... I will be revisiting compiz-reloaded and possibly building an updated version to keep in my repository.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!