Browser in wine
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: Browser in wine  (Read 1390 times)

Offline SK Linux

Browser in wine
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
Hi, Does anyone know how to install google chrome or firefox and flashplayer in wine without problems like missing dependencies or something like that. please help.
Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Browser in wine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
There are a few ways that you can install Google Chrome within WINE. I know there are some issues with the latest version, however a front-end such as POL (if available) should download the last known version to work with WINE.
I've found some articles stating that the bootstrap downloader does not work right in WINE. You will instead have to download the full version at:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Once you have the offline installer downloaded, you should be able to run this within WINE and achieve a successful install. If the latest doesn't work, you should still be able to find previous versions out there by running a quick search.

Firefox is also another alternative you may want to consider. It looks like a little while back on Manjaro 15.12, there was an issue with installing Chrome in WINE and some people discovered that installing both Firefox and the proprietary Flash plugin worked. Better yet, it allowed DRM playback in Firefox with very few issues and played those videos surprisingly well.

Finally, as a last option, there is a way to play DRM videos on Manjaro without using WINE through using HAL-Flash. There is an Arch Wiki page detailing this if you are interested. I'll just drop the link below:

One of the above methods should work for you though. Depends on how you want to proceed forward. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Post Merge: August 21, 2016, 02:41:16 PM

Following up with this question, JayVii posted something not too long back about Firefox 49 including Widevine which allows you to watch DRM content on Linux.

His post is over this way ->

Hope everything ended up working out for you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:42:29 PM by Kalthrix »