Greetings!
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Wolfsong73

Greetings!
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
Just wanted to stop by and say howdy, as I intend to be spending some time around here.

My name is Mike, and I'm an imminent Linux convertee. I've been wanting to make the change for a while now, and have a few false-starts, as there's always something that has sent me back to Windows - specifically gaming. Everything else I would want to do on a PC is well covered on Linux.

I've tried the dual-boot route, but found it to be annoying; I'd tend to just stay in Windows since I could do my gaming, and the other things I'd need to do. With Windows 7 being an actively updated and pretty solid OS, there was no fire under my butt to make the change. So, I stayed in Windows land. Well, with all the shenanigans around Win10, and knowing Windows 7's days are numbered, I've decided it's time to make that change. I could cling to Windows 7 'til it's pushed off a cliff, but, why delay the inevitable?

I'm not sure what OS I'm going to land with just yet. I'm checking out a few. Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro are the three I'm mostly looking at. My main concern is gaming. I know Steam and such works pretty much "out of the box" with a Debian-based OS, so Ubuntu and Mint are strong contenders in that area. I'm not as familiar with Manjaro, beyond it being built off of Arch Linux, which I'm also not familiar with. So, I'm not sure how well suited it is to gaming, compared to Mint/Ubuntu.

I'm familiar with Ubuntu and Mint, so I know they run well. I'm installing Manjaro 16.06 as I type this on my laptop, so I'll see how that goes. Which ever I like most in the end, will end up being the one I put on my main PC.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up :p

Anyways, nice to be among you all, and I look forward to sharing my full-time journey into Linux with y'all!

Take care!

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Welcome Mike, to the Cup of Linux Forums! Pop in the text chatroom or our Mumble voice chat server if your interested in all day Linux talk!

Since your main priority is gaming, I'd suggest a Linux OS that has a light desktop environment, like XFCE or LXDE (don't know if LXDE is still around anymore these days). It will help you squeeze an extra 0.5 to 3 FPS in most games in comparison to "heavy" distros like Mint / Ubuntu (sometimes a full 5 FPS if your lucky). Ubuntu-based is your best bet also, but Arch/ Arch-based is also a very close, strong contender. Manjaro is a fine choice indeed, especially the XFCE and KDE desktops, but XFCE will be lighter on your system resources.

Another popular distro is Linux Lite, which is very similar to Manjaro XFCE but is Ubuntu-based. It might be more comfortable for you since you mentioned that you like Ubuntu-based options better. I use it myself and always seem to go back to it, I guess it's just right for me! (maybe you too! Trial and error my friend!)

What ever distro you decide to stick with, you'll have fun using Linux again! Games on Steam for Linux has lots of options now. I remember when you really only play Minecraft until Steam for Linux came around early 2013.

There is a website called Phoronix that does lots of benchmark tests on hardware and games on Linux, usually using Ubuntu though sometimes they use other mainstream distros. Here is a link to that website:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

Enjoy Manjaro, tell us how it goes!
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline Wolfsong73

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Hello! Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I'd not checked out Linux Lite, yet, though I've heard of it. I think it was on one of Spatry's videos, actually heheh.

You ain't kidding about the gaming! I was looking at my Linux-compatible/native game collection through Steam last night and, out of 118 total games, 45 of them work straight away. Some of which surprised me, like the 2013 Tomb Raider is on that list. I'm sure the rest I can get to work through WINE. Very encouraging, for sure.

I actually didn't get to test Manjaro out very much because for some reason it had a very slow internet connection. I was doing the update, and with about 250MB of stuff to download, it was taking a really long time (over an hour at least) to do, and seemed to keep stalling out. I looked up a solution for it, and found a series of commands intended to find a better download location, but that didn't seem to help, either. Seems to be a common thing from what I read. None of the other distros seem to have that problem. So, not sure what was going on there.

I'll download and check out Linux Lite, and see how I like that. I'd grabbed the XFCE version of Manjaro as well, as I like the overall look/familiarity of it. So we'll see how that goes!

Thanks again!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:18:32 AM »
Just wanted to stop by and say howdy, as I intend to be spending some time around here.

My name is Mike, and I'm an imminent Linux convertee. I've been wanting to make the change for a while now, and have a few false-starts, as there's always something that has sent me back to Windows - specifically gaming. Everything else I would want to do on a PC is well covered on Linux.

I've tried the dual-boot route, but found it to be annoying; I'd tend to just stay in Windows since I could do my gaming, and the other things I'd need to do. With Windows 7 being an actively updated and pretty solid OS, there was no fire under my butt to make the change. So, I stayed in Windows land. Well, with all the shenanigans around Win10, and knowing Windows 7's days are numbered, I've decided it's time to make that change. I could cling to Windows 7 'til it's pushed off a cliff, but, why delay the inevitable?

I'm not sure what OS I'm going to land with just yet. I'm checking out a few. Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro are the three I'm mostly looking at. My main concern is gaming. I know Steam and such works pretty much "out of the box" with a Debian-based OS, so Ubuntu and Mint are strong contenders in that area. I'm not as familiar with Manjaro, beyond it being built off of Arch Linux, which I'm also not familiar with. So, I'm not sure how well suited it is to gaming, compared to Mint/Ubuntu.

I'm familiar with Ubuntu and Mint, so I know they run well. I'm installing Manjaro 16.06 as I type this on my laptop, so I'll see how that goes. Which ever I like most in the end, will end up being the one I put on my main PC.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up :p

Anyways, nice to be among you all, and I look forward to sharing my full-time journey into Linux with y'all!

Take care!

Welcome to the COL community Wolfsong73! Glad to have you with us. The Steam platform was mainly designed for Debian/Ubuntu-based distros, however seems like it works alright on Manjaro. It really depends on your preferences as to which system to use. I think that once Linux Mint 18 KDE comes out, I am going to switch to this as I am much more familiar with Debian as opposed to Arch/Arch-variants. Cinnamon and MATE have turned out pretty awesome, so can't wait to see what they do with KDE.

Anyway, the decision is on you. I would always recommend those who want to learn more about Arch-based distros to try out Manjaro, Archbang, or another variant. However, if you are more familiar with Debian/Ubuntu based distro's, I would definitely go with Linux Mint. That's just my 2 cents though.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 06:59:19 AM »
Welcome to the community wolfsong73. I have been using Linux Lite for some time now. It is stable and highly customizable. I enjoy using it on my everyday machine. Just an FYI. :)
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
Welcome to the community Mike! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I advise trying all of the distros you mentioned and stick with the one you like the best... get used to playing with "playonlinux" software, it may very well help you get some of your favorite windows programs and games running on your Linux box
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Wolfsong73

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »
Hey, thanks all!

Great to be among y'all. I have the Mumble info set up, I just have to actually hop on there one of these nights lol. Keep getting caught up with other stuff.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum pop a squat and have a looksie i use arch on my main gaming rig with xfce and on my dell laptop also so it is a good contender for gaming
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.