Greetings, and questions about emulation, and Manjaro vs. Linux Mint
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Greetings, and questions about emulation, and Manjaro vs. Linux Mint  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Monster Manuel

Hello, everyone. I've been a member for a while, but have never posted before now. However, watching some of Spatry's videos on Manjaro has inspired me to come back.
I have a few questions regarding Linux distributions.

I'm currently running a dual-boot of Windows 7 and Linux Mint. I'd like to switch over to Linux, and get rid of Windows altogether. I'd like to be able to never look back, because I'm certainly never "upgrading" to Windows 10 or whatever comes next, unless Microsoft suddenly changes course on its entire philosophy regarding its users.

I have two programs that are tying me to Windows; Photoshop CS6 which I use all the time, and a gaming program called Fantasy Grounds (for running online rpgs like D&D). I can live without the games, and steam is getting really good, so I'm not worried that I'll be giving them up forever.

I've dabbled in Linux for years, and I'm quite familiar with The Gimp, but it's not going to work for me. I can't seem to get the same quality out of the images I make with it as I do with Photoshop. Never mind the fact that I paid a lot of money for Photoshop.  

Krita on the other hand is a great program for *some* of what I do in Photoshop. It's a great painting program. It can even open PSDs (but not PSBs). The latter's a problem because I have a huge world map of a fantasy setting I made that's a PSB, and to keep working on it, I need Photoshop.

As for Fantasy Grounds, I'm confident that I can get it working under wine, or something like it, but it will take some work.

But I've babbled enough.

My two questions, based in part on the above information are:

1) Is there a way to run Photoshop CS 6 flawlessly?

2) Is Manjaro stable enough to switch to as a full time distro for someone who prefers to get (creative) work done rather than to fix issues most of the time?

Linux Mint, so far, is working, but I'm not excited by it. I'd like access to that beautiful Arch repository,  but I don't want my basic programs (LibreOffice, Scribus, Dropbox, etc.) to refuse to work when I need them. I'm willing to fix the occasional issue a few times a year, but I can't risk it if it happens a few times a month.

I do want to learn more about Linux, and an Arch-based distro seems like a great way to do it. I just don't want to get thrown into deep waters without a life vest. 

Thanks for reading.

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 02:43:43 PM

Just a note- minor issues are fine to fix. It's the show-stoppers that require command line magic without a GUI, or worse a reinstall, that worry me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:01:00 PM by Monster Manuel »
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Welcome to the community. I am quite certain you can get Photoshop to work on Linux. "Playonlinux" has an installer for Photoshop CS6. As far as your RPG game software, that may work too, as a matter of fact there is a TUTORIAL HERE. I have all of my favorite (windows) software running on Linux. Interestingly enough, I use Windows software on Linux to make all of the titles for my videos. Even the graphics you see on this website were composed in my trusty OLD Macromedia studio 8, which would never run on newer versions of Windows... Linux lets you combat planned obsolescence and permits you to get longer life from your hardware AND software! Make yourself at home and feel free to ask your questions. Cheers!

Edit:
I only suggest Manjaro for competent Windows users. You should have a strong sense of how computers work before hitting Manjaro. Most things can be done in Manjaro without needing to use a terminal but it is advised that you learn over time. My 73 year old mother uses Manjaro now and she has no technical skills.... BUT I maintain it for her. If you want to try Manjaro, I advise that you make yourself familiar with the ARCH and Manjaro WIKI. 
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Monster Manuel

Two things: I believe I might have accidentally reported a random post when my phone was in my pocket. Please disregard the report if I did.

Secondly, thank you for your reply. I know I misused "emulation" in the title, but I've actually dabbled in linux since around 2003 starting with Mandrake. I can handle the command line for everyday tasks, and am good at following tutorials when I can't.

I guess my main concern is that I might do everything "right" and still have to reinstall. How often does that happen with Manjaro?

Post Merge: June 22, 2016, 07:57:23 PM

Oh, and I'm typing on my phone, so apologies if that seemed curt. The information in your post is great. I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:01:25 AM by Monster Manuel »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
In the 3.5+ years I have been using Manjaro as my daily driver, I only did a fresh install once.... Not because there was a problem, I just wanted a clean system. I have since resorted to different methods to achieve the same without reinstalling.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Monster Manuel

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research, but I'm optimistic.

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
Welcome to the Cup of Linux Forums, Manuel! Pop in the text chatroom or our Mumble voice chat server if your interested in all day Linux talk!
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline Monster Manuel

I might do that if I can dedicate time to it specifically. I'm no good at multitasking.

As a follow up, I was able to install Manjaro on my entire 1 TB HDD. I must have gotten lucky, because there were no updates listed- even when I tried to force them.

I had some issues with my bluetooth headset that I fixed by first unstalling PulseAudio, then reinstalling it. with Alsa alone, I could hear, but my mic wasn't working in Skype. I got it together with help from parts of several tutorials.

Next I worked on getting my beloved D&D tabletop emulator- Fantasy Grounds working. That went pretty easily, thanks to the thread Spatry linked to. I thought I had a show-stopping glitch where the window was unusable when I resized it from within the program, but I realized that I need to manually resize it. This is great because on Windows, I couldn't do that. On Linux, I can use all three screens of real estate I have.

There was one remaining issue with FG, however, and that was that it needed port forwarding. I learned a bit about IPtables which I still don't really understand, and somehow I was able to get the game's Connection Test to show that my server is working. I can run games.

This is awesome. It's almost 9 AM here, so I'm going to get some sleep, and tackle Photoshop and a few other Windows programs later tonight. If this stays as nice as it's been so far (except for a few moments of frustration) I think I've found my distro.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Post Merge: June 26, 2016, 04:58:00 AM

I've got Photoshop CS6 working. There were a few hiccups, but it opened my huge PSB.

Now just a few minor programs, and I can start making XFCE look pretty.

I won't keep posting to this thread forever. I'm just excited, and thought maybe other new people might be encouraged by how it's turning out.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:01:25 AM by Monster Manuel »

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
hello and welcome to the forum pop a squat and have a looksie
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
Re: Greetings, and questions about emulation, and Manjaro vs. Linux Mint
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:01:52 PM »
Welcome to the community Monster Manuel! I hope ya have fun while you're here. I know I do.:D
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
I don't know if this helps or not... but if you could run a lower version of Photoshop, I can assure you that Photoshop CS2 runs perfectly in WINE (well except that the photoshop windows don't play quite as nicely as they should with native Linux program windows...)

I didn't even need PlayOnLinux or WineBottles or anything to get it to work, just installed it exactly as one would in Windows, and it works like a charm...

Ok, I'll admit the the "Browse" option doesn't work from the File Menu, but I doubt I'd be using that anyway, and you seldom see any thumbnail images in the "Load" dialogues, so you need to remember file names or use the File manager to see the images, I usually just open the file manager, right click and choose Open In Photoshop...

the issue with problems between PS and Linux windows is simply that if I would say, switch to my browser, it appears above the PS background window, but the tool box windows will sometimes appear on top of the Linux native browser or other software... not a deal breaker.

Not sure if that helps, as maybe there's something in PS CS6 that CS2 doesn't have that you really need, but CS2 does everything I need... and for me at least, is far easier to use than the gimp