New Users Guide To Installing Linux!
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: New Users Guide To Installing Linux!  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Linux Lounge

New Users Guide To Installing Linux!
« on: June 18, 2016, 05:43:40 AM »
This is how to install Linux using Windows, of course trying to keep it simple

Things You'll Need
A PC able to boot from USB (Pretty much all PC's)
A newly formatted USB
Your data backed up

Step 1
Download a ISO of the Linux Distro you want to install, for new users Linux Mint could be a good choice, go with the cinnamon 64 bit version

Step 2
Download Unetbootin and open it, then insert your formatted USB, once open select the option that says Diskimage and select the three dots, then select your downloaded ISO, leave all the other settings alone and select OK

Step 3
Once the ISO has finished writing to the USB you will need to boot from the USB, usually you can do this by starting up the computer and mashing F2 or F12, if you can see an Fn key on your keyboard you'll need to hold that down while mashing the F2 or F12 key, a menu should appear, you can here set your computer to boot from the USB, giving a guide here would be impossible since all PC's are different

Step 4
Once you've booted from the USB you should see a pretty self explanatory menu, its different for all distros but usually you should see an option with boot in the name. Once you've selected that the distro should boot to the desktop, once your here you should see an icon with Install in the name, on Linux Mint it says install Linux Mint, double click that and an installer should appear.

Step 5
Everything in the installer should be self explanatory until you get to where to install, if you want to dual boot select install alongside (insert your OS here) if you want to install the distro on its own select erase disk and install, Erasing the disk will obviously remove your data. Once you've selected your option the distro will ask for some information to set up your user accound

Step 6
Once the installer has finished shut the computer down or reboot, the distro should prompt you to remove the usb and press enter, do that and your PC should reboot into your newly installed distro

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: New Users Guide To Installing Linux!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:16:33 AM »
Thanks for submitting this, LinuxLounge :)

Consider to also mention Checksums in there- There's nothing worse than a corrupted ISO image, if you are a new user and don't know, what's going on :P

CHECKSUMS: MD5
CHECKSUMS: SHA-2

Offline Linux Lounge

Re: Re: New Users Guide To Installing Linux!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:07 AM »
Thanks for submitting this, LinuxLounge :)

Consider to also mention Checksums in there- There's nothing worse than a corrupted ISO image, if you are a new user and don't know, what's going on :P

CHECKSUMS: MD5
CHECKSUMS: SHA-2
Unfortunately I don't know enough about checksums to write such a thing in :P, All I know is how to verify an ISO in Linux XD

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: New Users Guide To Installing Linux!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
[REMOVED]- Whoops didn't see original post. Thanks for the heads-up JavVii! :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:34:04 PM by Kalthrix »

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:40:04 PM »
actually, i explained it fairly easy and detailed in the two articles I posted ;)

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:59 PM »
actually, i explained it fairly easy and detailed in the two articles I posted ;)

Sorry, I know this is a bit late, but I think it must have loaded the thread half-way down at the time of my post or something and looked like Linux Lounge was looking at how to verify checksums. 

The linked articles you included cover it pretty well.

Hope it all turned out well Linux Lounge.

Offline edge226

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »
Does unetbootin work on all Linux distros and does it work for all distros images?
AFAIK it does not so you should remove unetbootin and put in a dd tutorial instead as it works everywhere.

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:50 PM »
Does unetbootin work on all Linux distros and does it work for all distros images?
AFAIK it does not so you should remove unetbootin and put in a dd tutorial instead as it works everywhere.

yes indeed, UnetBootIn will NOT work with Manjaro, period. Not sure about Arch or other Arch derivatives, but most definitely not with Manjaro

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
I am with Edge on that one.... we have covered DD many times on this board and it is the ideal method for writing images. Please use the search function to find more on DD.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!