How can you convert manjaro back to arch? (is it even possible?)
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: How can you convert manjaro back to arch? (is it even possible?)  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Metalhead

• Huzzah.
If it's in the wrong thread then I apologize but I was just wonder if it's possible to do without any thing terrible happen (like my computer won't run or worst lol)

EDITOR NOTE: This board has been updated with corrected information, please scroll down and check out Spatry's video on Arch Migrations.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: How can you convert manjaro back to arch? (is it even possible?)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
By building ARCH the ARCH WAY. Manjaro IS NOT ARCH and cannot be converted to Arch. 
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Metalhead

• Huzzah.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
Aha alrighty then thanks for the heads up, Spatry!

Offline edge226

By building ARCH the ARCH WAY. Manjaro IS NOT ARCH and cannot be converted to Arch.

You probably could but It would not be worth the effort involved.

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 02:55:10 AM »
I would recommend the architect installer if your looking for an easy way to install arch, thats what i use when i build a new arch install
https://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
Cheers

Offline Metalhead

• Huzzah.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
alright cool, thanks for the help guys :)

Offline arlo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:21:35 PM »
Truly, no offense intended. The fact that you posed such a question suggests to me that you should consider keeping Manjaro and running Arch on a VM for awhile.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.  -- Lewis Carroll

Offline Metalhead

• Huzzah.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
I realized my mistake and learned from it, now im running arch from the arch way (took me couple of tries tho)

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Truly, no offense intended. The fact that you posed such a question suggests to me that you should consider keeping Manjaro and running Arch on a VM for awhile.

I get that Arch is for those who have the will to learn to build their system from the ground up and is viewed as used by intermediate Linux users typically. [SNIPPED] However, I understand where he was coming from such as trying to essentially remove the customization done by Manjaro. Basically, what makes Manjaro, well... Manjaro. We're just looking at a potentially easier way to get it installed without having to spend a day doing it. It is a legitimate question. [SNIPPED] (misred/misterpreted arlo's comment).

VM would be a good learning curve though if this were the first time trying to install or see what the installation process is like. [SNIPPED] I would agree that with it being the first time that Metalhead run through the installation process in a VM to better familiarize himself with the installation and when comfortable move to a full install.

I realized my mistake and learned from it, now im running arch from the arch way (took me couple of tries tho)

Glad to hear that you got it up and running. The process can be prone to error, but sounds like everything is good to go. Would have posted here earlier, but didn't see the thread.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:24:17 PM by Kalthrix »

Offline edge226

I get that Arch is for those who have the will to learn to build their system from the ground up and is viewed as used by intermediate Linux users typically. However, why would you bash a new user for asking a question such as this?

What he said is not really bashing but good advice, Its something I would say too. It is good to test on VM to ensure the software is A) What you want and that B) You understand the process before doing it on your hardware.

I personally believe testing on VM is being responsible because sometimes the installer is confusing or similar and it can throw you off by doing unexpected things.

The things that make Manjaro be Manjaro is the small ammount of extra tools they put into it. They do not stick with the same profiles each release so thats really not what makes Manjaro ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:05:46 PM by edge226 »

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
What he said is not really bashing but good advice, Its something I would say too. It is good to test on VM to ensure the software is A) What you want and that B) You understand the process before doing it on your hardware.

I personally believe testing on VM is being responsible because sometimes the installer is confusing or similar and it can throw you off by doing unexpected things.

The things that make Manjaro be Manjaro is the small ammount of extra tools they put into it. They do not stick with the same profiles each release so thats really not what makes Manjaro ;)

Maybe not, I don't know if I just misred/misinterpreted it that day. Seemed like he was kind of coming off a bit brash about it, but looking at it now I can see that is not the case. Good advise to try it out in a VM first, familiarize yourself with the installation process, and then when comfortable move to a full install. Sound advice if you ask me. :)

Snippy snip snip snip [Original Comment]. :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:25:22 PM by Kalthrix »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
Nerobumping my old board: During the development and release of the latest mCOLe it was discovered that YOU CAN change one arch based distribution to another by swapping out your mirror lists and changing the kernels... A few additional steps will be required. The Parabola Wiki gives an example! NOTE: You should NEVER perform such a feat unless you know what you are doing.

Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!