[SOLVED] keyring
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] keyring  (Read 3001 times)

Offline johnrmal

[SOLVED] keyring
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
I am a newbie so pls. bear with me.  I keep getting unlock my key ring.  From reading the arch I understand it stores passwords.  If I need this how do I give it a password.  If not how do I get rid of it?    According to the Arch wiki if you do automatic login in you don't have to enter anything that did not work.  So I created a login screen and it still happens.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I looked in this forum could find anything Thank you!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: keyring
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:01 PM »
Any time you open a program that requires ELEVATED privileges such as using a file manager as ROOT, you will be prompted for a password. You can sometimes tell the prompt to keep the keyring open for the session in which case it will not ask you for a password until you start a new session. THIS PAGE explains it better than I can and I hope it will set your mind at ease.

You can get rid of the gnome-keyring if you do not want it nor have any applications that require it:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Rns gnome-keyring
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline johnrmal

Re: keyring
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
Thank you Spatry that was very helpful!  It was driving me nuts lol!

Offline danielson

Re: [SOLVED] keyring
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 06:03:10 PM »
So, removing keyring is fine, but what if you want to keep it?
How do you insert one ?