[SOLVED] Possibility for save implementation on first post/response for forums?
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Possibility for save implementation on first post/response for forums?  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Good morning, I have tried searching for this on the forums however search wasn't turning up any relevant results. I really really do like the design of the site Spatry, you did an excellent job with it. I was wondering as a general inquiry/suggestion if there would be any way to implement a Save function when posting either a new post or a response to a post in order to keep you in the same thread while posting? Normally when you select "Post", it will take you back out of the thread and back to the last accessed forum. I feel that this would be really helpful to those of us that frequent the forums and make it easier for us to follow a topic without having to either go back on browser navigation and refresh or try to find the exact post in the forum thread list again.

Thank you for hearing me out. Again, great job with the site!!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
When you post there is a + box which says attachments and other options. You can turn on notifications or return to the topic. There are other options for staff members too.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
When you post there is a + box which says attachments and other options. You can turn on notifications or return to the topic. There are other options for staff members too.

Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. Normally, when you go to post for the first time on a thread, it will only give you the Post and Preview buttons. If you go back at a later time, it will give you a Save and Cancel button. What I was meaning is that the Save button when editing a post will take you back to the same thread that you were in before, but will refresh it including your updated post. When creating a new thread, if you select Post it takes you out of the thread you were in back to the main page of the forum that you were posting in causing you to have to click on your thread again in order to return to what you had just created.

Ultimately, what I was suggesting is implementing a way to have the Save button included on a new post which would allow us to return to our thread instead of the forum prior to avoid having to click on and return to our thread. I know it doesn't really take a lot of effort for us to have to do this, but would help if we were monitoring our thread real-time in order for us to respond faster and more efficiently with others.

I have included a couple of screenshots below to show what I am talking about.

When creating a new post, we are given options like shown below:

Here is when editing posts. It gives us a Save button that will take us back to the same thread.

I don't know, the only reason I suggested it is for convenience for those posting on the forums. Again, it doesn't take a lot of effort to click back on the thread in order to view/refresh it so that we can see new posts. Not meaning to make it a lazy feature that would return us to the same thread. I just thought it may be handy so that we can return and respond to others if the thread is active as opposed to having to select to open it again or have to push it off in its own tab.

I also use the Notify feature which is great too and glad it is there. Just thought this may help for those that hang out here on the forums.

Thanks again for your reply Spatry!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
PAY ATTENTION READ ABOVE IN YOUR SCREENSHOT WHERE IT SAYS PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST.... See the blue box with a "+" sign in it? Next to it is blue text that says attachments and other options. YOU PRESS THE + icon to get the option you want. If the option IS NOT THERE, you need to have higher access...

Offline Ivan Killemov

• Spatry's Alter-Ego
  • I am Spatry!
    • Spatry's Cup of Linux
As a standard user I can confirm the following options exist when the + button is picked...
 Attachments and other options
  •  Notify me of replies.
  •  Return to this topic.
  •  Don't use smileys.
SOLVED!
I am here for demonstration and testing purposes only!
"Sprocket's" posts have been re-attributed to ME :)

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
PAY ATTENTION READ ABOVE IN YOUR SCREENSHOT WHERE IT SAYS PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE YOU POST.... See the blue box with a "+" sign in it? Next to it is blue text that says attachments and other options. YOU PRESS THE + icon to get the option you want. If the option IS NOT THERE, you need to have higher access...

Ah ok, makes sense. I just checked again and saw the checkbox in there. Didn't see it previously. Will give that a go. Thanks Spatry! :)

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Ivan, who died and made you BOSS? How dare you DO MY JOB FOR ME!? That is 50 demerits and 20 lashes with a WET NOODLE... Kalthrix, please pay attention so I do not have to punish the locals! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
I will MARK this thread as SOLVED and I will put Dirty Helga into a pair of cement shoes before taking her out for a swim!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
I will MARK this thread as SOLVED and I will put Dirty Helga into a pair of cement shoes before taking her out for a swim!

Hey Spatry, I just also found the option to "return to thread by default" under my forum settings. Didn't realize the option was there. Was check-marking the option to return to the thread after each initial post which was kind of inconvenient, but saved the hassle of reloading the thread. Looks like we are definitely good to go on this. I no longer have to checkmark it on each post.  ;D