Request - mCOLe / Marjaro in the enterprise
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Request - mCOLe / Marjaro in the enterprise  (Read 3718 times)

Offline cfleischmann1780

Request - mCOLe / Marjaro in the enterprise
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »
I'd love to see a tutorial where an entire enterprise network is built using either mCOLe or Manjaro linux. what I mean by enterprise network is the following:
  • Active Directory (roaming profiles / central authentication)
  • desktop policy management (what users are and re not allowed to do on their desktops manageed from a centralized server)
  • file / print server
  • web and email server (think IIS + exchange from the windows world)
  • terminal serer
I'm well aware that linux is more than capable of replacing all of these windows technologies on an enterprise network, just seeing the tutorials and trying them in the VMWare lab never quite seems to work as expected.  As such I'd like a tutorial from the linux wizard himself (Spatry) or someone who can write in a way that someone coming from a windows server 2003 background can understand

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Request - mCOLe / Marjaro in the enterprise
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:40:23 PM »
I do not have the hardware to make such a demonstration. Furthermore, mCOLe is a vanity distribution. It was created to fulfill a need from my audience. I had numerous requests from viewers who wanted to try Linux with my own personal settings. mCOLe is built on top of Manjaro and no changes to the core OS was made, I only added a few small features to make this unique so it should be able to do anything the parent distro is capable of.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline cfleischmann1780

Re: Re: Request - mCOLe / Marjaro in the enterprise
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »
I do not have the hardware to make such a demonstration. Furthermore, mCOLe is a vanity distribution. It was created to fulfill a need from my audience. I had numerous requests from viewers who wanted to try Linux with my own personal settings. mCOLe is built on top of Manjaro and no changes to the core OS was made, I only added a few small features to make this unique so it should be able to do anything the parent distro is capable of.

Duly noted.  I figured as much, and thought maybe throw it together in a VM somewhere.  Just as a side bar, I do love your personal spin on Marjaro, I'd love to put it in an enterprise environment; but that's not my call, that's more my IT department's call and they're like "show me it won't break compatibility with existing windows and Macintosh users and we'll do it, until then, you're free to run whatever you want so long as you maintain compatibility with our systems here"  We'd love to get off the microsft bandwagon at the office, just we need a replacement for the above mentioned technologies, and we're not going to spend about $1,000/user if not more for everyone to have an organization-provided mac computer (or expect them to buy one from their own money) and that's just the client machines plus the servers from apple are quite expensive from what we've researched and using a Linux distro to replace windows will allow us to leverage our existing (legacy) PCs

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:59:15 AM »
personally, I would not use mCOLe, Manjaro or Arch for enterprise use. Due to the fact they are rolling release, I would use Linux distros designed for Enterprise use. Such as Scientific Linux or CentOS. (Both based on Redhat) If you are willing to spend money you could use Redhat.

But, that's just my opinion

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:19:38 AM »
As far as enterprise networks go, you might be better off with an enterprise-specialized Distro like RedHat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise.

If said company is not willing to / cannot pay for the support of those Operating Systems, you could try the community supported versions of those:
  • CentOS
  • OpenSUSE
Or one of the wide range of other server-capable Linux-based OS's:
AFAIK, companies usually strife for as much Life-time support for their systems as possible, while being as stable and unproblematic as possible.
In that aspect Debian, CentOS or OpenSUSE (Leap) would be your best bets. All of those are supported for 5 years (often, the last 2 years are labeled "LTS" or "Evergreen")

Offline cfleischmann1780

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 06:59:54 AM »
As far as enterprise networks go, you might be better off with an enterprise-specialized Distro like RedHat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise.

If said company is not willing to / cannot pay for the support of those Operating Systems, you could try the community supported versions of those:
  • CentOS
  • OpenSUSE
Or one of the wide range of other server-capable Linux-based OS's:
AFAIK, companies usually strife for as much Life-time support for their systems as possible, while being as stable and unproblematic as possible.
In that aspect Debian, CentOS or OpenSUSE (Leap) would be your best bets. All of those are supported for 5 years (often, the last 2 years are labeled "LTS" or "Evergreen")

Noted. Thank you for your input. The issue is that we're all volunteer thus no budget to pay for support contracts and on top of this me fumbling through tutorials on the lab to demonstrate to IT Department does not a good sales pitch make. I need to demonstrate that not only will the Linux be more stable in the long term, but existing technologies still work (e.g. Active directory or equivalent) and maintain compatibility and a workflow that's not going to have them at a terminal for three commands to reset someone's password or add a new user. My IT department has a policy of "choice" meaning that you're free to use whatever floats your boat so long as the following conditions are met:
1.  At least 80% uptime is maintained during your scheduled work hours
2.  100% compatibility with current systems and tools at least 85% of the time

In short if you can interoperate with the way they have the enterprise systems set up and you're just as efficient as your windows counterpart, use whatever you want.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:06:59 AM by cfleischmann1780 »

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
Noted. Thank you for your input. The issue is that we're all volunteer thus no budget to pay for support contracts and on top of this me fumbling through tutorials on the lab to demonstrate to IT Department does not a good sales pitch make. I need to demonstrate that not only will the Linux be more stable in the long term, but existing technologies still work (e.g. Active directory or equivalent) and maintain compatibility and a workflow that's not going to have them at a terminal for three commands to reset someone's password or add a new user. My IT department has a policy of "choice" meaning that you're free to use whatever floats your boat so long as the following conditions are met:
1.  At least 80% uptime is maintained during your scheduled work hours
2.  100% compatibility with current systems and tools at least 85% of the time

In short if you can interoperate with the way they have the enterprise systems set up and you're just as efficient as your windows counterpart, use whatever you want.

Take a look at OpenSUSE! Yast2 is SUSE's system-control-panel. AFAIK, it can do pretty much anything a sysadmin would want to do in a network-environment in a graphical and more or less easy way.
I messed with it a few times, but I cannot do more than a very small homenetwork, here :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:35:20 AM by JayVii »

Offline cfleischmann1780

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »
Got it!  Thanks for the inpu, I've got the leap ISO image ready to rock and roll in the VMWare, I've just got to build the lab and do some thanks again for your help!

Take a look at OpenSUSE! Yast2 is SUSE's system-control-panel. AFAIK, it can do pretty much anything a sysadmin would want to do in a network-environment in a graphical and more or less easy way.
I messed with it a few times, but I cannot do more than a very small homenetwork, here :P

Post Merge: May 24, 2016, 02:18:03 AM
A quick update:

It loks like after some quick googling and testing, OpenSUSE will not be the solution of choice as it is only compatible with x86_64 processors, as a result of our hardware being donated to us from various places over the years it's all only x86.  That's the one showstopper the most recent version of OpenSUSE is only compatible with 64-bit processors :( Ugh! I hate when technology like our old legacy systems gets dropped.  Runs server 2000 and 2003 R2 just fine anything beyond that and it'll take ages to get ANYTH (loading screen for 30 minutes) anything at all done LOL!

I hope there's an answer for our clearly old hardware in the linux bin somewhere since M$ stopped supporting server 2003/R2 sometime last year and server 2000 even further back than that :(  I'm really not in the mood to tell this to our IT department:

"Sorry Marissa, but it looks like we have 2 choices really: option one is work towards buying more up-to-date servers.  Option 2 is to run clearly antiquated and vulnerable systems so long as we completely detach then from the internet, which in turn means detaching EVERYONE'S machine from the internet because if something nasty gets in on a client and gets saved to their H: drive, it has the potential to bring down our entire operation."

I can already see where that's going to go. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:18:03 AM by cfleischmann1780 »