[SOLVED] Chromium issue with 1.16-5
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Chromium issue with 1.16-5  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
[SOLVED] Chromium issue with 1.16-5
« on: May 08, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what's causing this but it seems to be isolated to the chromium browser.  The menus have some contrast issues with the included COL themes.  I'll add a few screen shots to illustrate.  I think this has something to do with how Chromium handles theming but does not affect all dark themes.

Either way, using the dark themes included with the distro it's very hard to read the menus.  I've floated the theme selector so it's visible which theme is currently selected.  Also I included a pair of shots with the vertex dark theme which seems to be working fine.  Interestingly the mouseover highlighting of the menu items seems to work fine.

Links to images that illustrate what I'm talking about, I've included one of the chromium options menu and the right-click context menu for each theme.  Appologies for the need to click on each image link, however I'm trying not to punish folks who have slower net connections with so many image loads at once.  

EDIT by Mod: fixed your images ;)

If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Chromium issue with 1.16-5
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »
HERE IS THE SOLVE...
You can run GTK theme config from the SETTINGS MANAGER or by TERMINAL
Code: [Select]
gtk-theme-config

See the screenshot and see that the custom menu background and text is activated. You may change the menu color to anything you like and you can also define your preference for text color. You can see I am using the darkest theme available for my system, yet the tweak shows the chrome menu properly... I knew that dark themes would sometimes cause problems so I included that utility in my distro to make it easy for people who have problems with their dark themes. PLEASE MARK THIS AS SOLVED if this fixes your issue.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Linux Lounge

Re: [SOLVED] Chromium issue with 1.16-5
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:17:22 AM »
Just saying if you still have the issue don't use a cup of Linux theme, there are plently of other great themes that won't cause issues

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »
Just saying if you still have the issue don't use a cup of Linux theme, there are plently of other great themes that won't cause issues
I call B.S. on that one... there are NOT plenty of gtk 3.20 compliant themes yet and it will take a long time for people to port their themes over to the new GTK... assuming they are not too pissed at the GTK development team for breaking everything.... AGAIN!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Linux Lounge

Re: Re: [SOLVED] Chromium issue with 1.16-5
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 09:16:15 AM »
I call B.S. on that one... there are NOT plenty of gtk 3.20 compliant themes yet and it will take a long time for people to port their themes over to the new GTK... assuming they are not too pissed at the GTK development team for breaking everything.... AGAIN!

Fair enough, There are at least some themes so if your to bothered by the chromiun issues

Alternatively you could use firefox

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
This was already solved, in fact it wasn't exactly a burning issue for me at the time because I use vertex dark which seemed unaffected.  However, I noticed the odd issue when I tried the newer themes and thought I'd point it out.  You can't solve a problem unless you know about it.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.