Manjaro-Cup of Linux Edition is UNDERWAY!
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Manjaro-Cup of Linux Edition is UNDERWAY!  (Read 16526 times)

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
Re: Colopsys is UNDERWAY!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
At First I Thought This Said Calypso LOL!! Haha a twisted metal varient of Linux Would Be EPIC!! but I was wrong anyway good work on the distro Spatry. My Only Recommendation would be kwin instead of compiz for longevity reasons in case someone doesn't wanna change compositors plus I think Kwin uses GLSL so actual hardware rendering plus well maintained project.You can add a menu item to swap out compositors in case people don't have the machine for it here is how I did it for my distro:
nano /usr/share/applications/[name of entry].desktop

# Place The Compositor Of Choice Where The Exec is (in your case compiz --replace and have a different menu entry with xfwm4 --replace as a fallback)
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Enable Kwin
Comment=Enable KDE Compositing
Icon=kde
Exec=kwin --replace
Terminal=false
Categories=Settings;

Hope This Helps and the item you make will show in the whisker menu.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:51:45 PM by artofmusic »
When In Doubt C4

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
At First I Thought This Said Calypso LOL!! Haha a twisted metal varient of Linux Would Be EPIC!! but I was wrong anyway good work on the distro Spatry. My Only Recommendation would be kwin instead of compiz for longevity reasons in case someone doesn't wanna change compositors plus I think Kwin uses GLSL so actual hardware rendering plus well maintained project.You can add a menu item to swap out compositors in case people don't have the machine for it here is how I did it for my distro:
nano /usr/share/applications/[name of entry].desktop

# Place The Compositor Of Choice Where The Exec is (in your case compiz --replace and have a different menu entry with xfwm4 --replace as a fallback)
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Enable Kwin
Comment=Enable KDE Compositing
Icon=kde
Exec=kwin --replace
Terminal=false
Categories=Settings;

Hope This Helps and the item you make will show in the whisker menu.

Your proposal will not be necessary. I will have the fusion-icon automatically launch at startup. This gives the end user easy access to CCSM and Emerald. Also, users will be able to easily switch from XFWM4 and Compiz. Everything will be outlined in video documentation.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
Awh Maybe Useful For Someone Else However as if your using kwin + xfwm4 or any other non compiz compistor/ window manager setup with xfce
When In Doubt C4

Offline MrGizmo757

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
Re: Re: Colopsys is UNDERWAY!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 01:16:27 AM »
I will do better than that! I will have a video explaining usage and installed software.

ManjaroISO automatically gives you a text file with all the packages in it after the image is built.  So it's easy enough.

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »
Hope You Don't Get Sued by sony for your distro name as it sounds incredibly close to the name of the last boss in all the twisted metal games LOL!!!!!
When In Doubt C4

Offline mrmattdarnell

• WikiClub
  • Linux Developer
    • Matt's Blog
Re: Re: Re: Colopsys is UNDERWAY!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
ManjaroISO automatically gives you a text file with all the packages in it after the image is built. So it's easy enough.

Yes, but if people are wondering what software he has on his machine than he will need a video for it. I think (not 100% sure) he stated earlier that he was not including all the software he uses, but just what is needed. So not only is it small, but it just might be 700MB or less for a standard CDR/RW.
Email Me: matt at mrmattdarnell dot com
[[[ I'm in the Wiki Club ]]]
[[[ I also like cake if anyone will bake me one ]]]

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
I can assure you the software listing will be as minimal as possible. In a nutshell, I am taking the standard "Manjaro XFCE" and REMOVING a bunch of applications from it, then I am adding my own customizations and themes. More will be revealed as this project comes closer to completion. I want to keep some things a surprise so I am not going to reveal any more!

Offline artofmusic

• artofmusicproductions
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
Man I wish my distro could be small mines an absolute monster 3.9gb to be exact LOL!!
When In Doubt C4

Offline Coastie

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
I can assure you the software listing will be as minimal as possible. In a nutshell, I am taking the standard "Manjaro XFCE" and REMOVING a bunch of applications from it, then I am adding my own customizations and themes. More will be revealed as this project comes closer to completion. I want to keep some things a surprise so I am not going to reveal any more!

This sounds tempting to try especially since it is a rolling distro. A few questions:

Will it be beginner friendly?

Will it work on older computers like mine?
Processor : 4x Intel® Atom™ CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 2053MB (400MB used)
Operating System : Linux Lite 1.0.8
-Display-Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
-Multimedia-Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-SCSI Disks-SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A ATA ST3500320AS
Kernel : Linux 3.8.0-35-generic (i686)

Your review and Matthew Moore's show that updates are done by the Terminal but on http://vimeo.com/user13988910, it showed a GUI updater and notifier. Will Colopsys have it also or at least one like in "Install Update - Terminal" like in Linux Lite?

Is there a software center for Manjaro? I have used Synaptic (similar to the package managers in Manjaro before but sometimes hard to find a package if you are not sure what package you want and what should go with it. If there isn't could the Ubuntu (or Lubuntu/Linux Lite) Software Center be used?

How do you pronounce Colopsys?
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
ColOpSys (Kul-op-sis) will not be user friendly in that the default themes will have borderless windows which means you will press a key and mouse button combo to move or resize windows. This can be changed easily though. It should run fine on the system you specified. Graphics acceleration is required to enjoy the nice Compiz/Emerald pack which will ship with the distribution.

Offline Coastie

Re: Re: Colopsys is UNDERWAY!
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
ColOpSys (Kul-op-sis) will not be user friendly in that the default themes will have borderless windows which means you will press a key and mouse button combo to move or resize windows. This can be changed easily though. It should run fine on the system you specified. Graphics acceleration is required to enjoy the nice Compiz/Emerald pack which will ship with the distribution.

Thanks. Hopefully your video will so how to change the default borderless windows if not just a simple change in Windows Manager. I do not think I have graphics acceleration but think I could uninstall the Compiz/Emerald pack.

Will Colopsys have the Manjaro GUI updater and notifier or at least one like in "Install Update - Terminal" like in Linux Lite?

Is there a software center for Manjaro?

If there isn't, could the Ubuntu (or Lubuntu/Linux Lite) Software Center be used?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »
Manjaro has a GUI package manager much like synaptic. It does not have a software center like Deepin or Ubuntu which has pretty graphical icons, but it soes give oyu text based descriptions of software you can install. Because it has AUR support, you will have more packages available to you than many distributions offer.

Offline Coastie

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
That will work. I was reading on forums that Manjaro's package managers aren't very descriptive as software centers or have reviews but I could do that do more research on forums, etc. before deciding on what package I wanted.

Will Colopsys have the Manjaro GUI updater and notifier or at least one like in "Install Update - Terminal" like in Linux Lite?

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
@ Coastie, seems like "Octopi" should be a good choice for someone knew to arch-based distro's.
But when i read that you are in search for a beginner friendly distro i don't think that it is a wise diccision to go with Arch-based.
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
Even when I used Ubuntu based distributions, I would perform research online for potential applications I wanted to try. Often I will visit sites like noobslab or webupd8 and when they mention new applications are available which peak my interest, I will search the AUR for them. To my surprise they often appear in the Manjaro repos already.