Hello from PA
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Hello from PA  (Read 2781 times)

Offline dathem

• Contributor
Hello from PA
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »
Hello, I am almost 60 years old, been using computers of some sort since I went to Penn State College in 1973 using a punch card reader and sending the data to the main frame in Sate College to check for errors. My first personal computer was a Kaypro running CPM no windows only text. I then went through a number of Macs and then was sort of forced to using PC's since there were no longer any Apple repairs shops or stores anywhere near me. I used 98 through 8.1 over the years and also used several Radio shack computers where I worked at a garden center. I also grew daylilies and started to hybridize them and needed a database to keep track of the 30,000 seedlings and named cultivars I had in the back yard. I also took pictures of all of them and used a PDA to record all the info. I also started to sell them on-line and had to learn web designing on my own.

In between all of that I needed to get rid of the used and/or non working computer stuff and found a guy to come and pick up the stuff. He told me about Linux but I thought it was more of the command line stuff and not that interested at the time. A few months later he showed me UBUNTU running on a laptop and I was hooked with the eye candy; cube and burning windows etc. I also found out about the Ultimate Linux Christmas Edition and all the eye candy installed by default. Been using Linux ever since, but still needed Windows for the nephews to play games on. I was really into Linux and joined several forums and became a Moderator and an Admin on one site, but I just don't have the time to do that any more. In the past few years most of the Linux Distro's went in a direction I didn't like very much, though I have an entire drawer full of disks, trying to find something I really enjoyed and also worked on my computers. Now, I found from watching You-tube video's from Matt Moore and Spatry the Distro for me; Manjaro. It does absolutely everything I need and works on every computer I have installed it on!!

dathem
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:10:55 PM by dathem »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Hello from PA
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Welcome to the community dathem and thanks for taking the time to share with us! We can always benefit from having experienced users! Thanks for joining us!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Things really seem to be picking up since the new board started, and it's good to see a wide variety of users joining.

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
Welcome to Spatry's Cup of Linux! Drop by the chatroom, lots of Linux and Manjaro talk!
Very interesting background you come from! I wasn't born in that era, so I find this very intresting! Hope you enjoy Manjaro!
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum dathem of fun and learning take a look around and see were we can help or you can help also hope you enjoy the club
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
welcome to the Spatry's cup of linux forum dathem, hope you enjoy your stay here;)
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline CEUOTC

• SUPPORTER!
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
Welcome dalthem, looks like you come loaded with a great amount of experience which is welcome. 

And l am sure we can teach an old dog some new tricks, as well as you teach us a few.

C.
Peppermint OS9

Lurking as work still busy :)