mCOLe with Systemd-boot
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: mCOLe with Systemd-boot  (Read 2891 times)

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
mCOLe with Systemd-boot
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »
I went ahead and installed mCOLe on my desktop today and opted to set up Systemd-Boot since it works well on my laptop, and is a nice light UEFI bootloader.  Thus gives an option to use systemd-boot instead of GRUB which requires the ESP to be on /boot rather than on /boot/efi how GRUB wants it.  Everything works fine until updating though, where it installs GRUB and tries to replace systemd-boot.  Upon doing so GRUB will not work, it could have probably been fixed via chroot, but since I wanted systemd-boot I deleted it from my ESP.  At this point things would have been fine if my BIOS allowed me to select a custom .efi entry since the systemd-boot one was removed.  It's not a big deal for me, I just re-installed and opted to stick with GRUB (it'll let me boot things on other hard drives anyway) but I thought I would mention that a straight update will not respect your installation options if you pick systemd-boot.  I would suggest adding either a warning somewhere saying it won't work, or some sort of fix, though this could be an issue on Manjaro's side (I haven't tried it there).  Anyway, just thought I'd share that experience.  I suspect uninstalling GRUB before an update would have fixed it, though I'm not sure why GRUB was installed to begin with since I was using systemd-boot.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: mCOLe with Systemd-boot
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:32:43 AM »
I would imagine the same problem could potentially occur with Manjaro. As I stated in the release announcement, I made NO CHANGES to the core OS. This means I left all software selections at their DEFAULT. I only added a few packages from repo and AUR along with some of my own configurations.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
I figured as much, however I couldn't be certain since I never tried it.  I can't imagine there are too many people who would pick systemd-boot over GRUB either to be honest.  I prefer it on my laptop, it works better with UEFI than GRUB.  It's the only bootloader on my laptop that can boot all 4 operating systems, I have to play with GRUB a little on my desktop to see if it'll boot the 3 on there though.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
I'm one of the few who picks systemd-boot over grub :-) ... My knowledge isn't the greatest on the differences between the 2 however theres a few tiny things i like about it that keep me using it.

- Faster boot than grub
- Able to easily specify which kernel i use with a simple edit of a config file
- No annoying grub menu 

Just my 2 cents