A stupid question: Why not GNOME?
Welcome, Guest.
"See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." --Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: A stupid question: Why not GNOME?  (Read 314 times)

Offline eronis

A stupid question: Why not GNOME?
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:14:46 AM »
I was wondering why mCOLe has never got a GNOME spin. This is not a request post. I am just curious about whether GNOME is not liked by COL community, or you guys simply do not have time to develop the 3rd edition.

I am also wondering why KDE edition has come into the scene all of a sudden. COL had a traditional minimal XFCE top panel design unique to mCOL and simplified UI. So, why KDE edition has come into existence?

These questions may have been asked in the past. However, I couldn't find such a post. 
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: A stupid question: Why not GNOME?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
gnome 3 is not well regarded. kde was probably added because it has become lighter then xfce and there's more call for kde/plasma because people actually like it.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:34:49 AM »
Well, KDE and XFCE can have a very similar workflow and by default they do.  Gnome's workflow is ... different ... and I'll leave that at that since I've never been able to wrap my head around using it efficiently.  In addition, the KDE team has done a LOT of optimizations so you get all of the benefits and tweakability of Plasma and it still occupies a very similar memory footprint whereas Gnome3 has always been pretty chunky in that regard.

Additionally, nothing actually stops you from taking it and installing any WM or DE that you want onto it.  I used to run MCOLe KDE a long time before Spatry ever made that an official choice.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
mCOLe is a HACK. Basically it is using an Arch linux installer to put Manjaro onto a machine which cannot run it's bootloader. Doing it in that way was complicated to set up. Xfce is my preferred desktop and Plasma was offered due to popularity. Interestingly, this is when I discovered that Arch based systems are so modular that you can convert Arch to Manjaro or Parabola easy.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!