OpenSUSE
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: OpenSUSE  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Rintarou

• Uses Debian, Arch & OpenSUSE
OpenSUSE
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
Are there any other OpenSUSE (Tumbleweed or Leap) lovers here? I've been distro hopping quite a lot for the past few weeks, but I finally settled on OpenSUSE with KDE. It's worked excellently for me so far and I think it's going to be my home for a while. Zypper is a really nice package manager (everything I've installed from the repos so far has been up to date too!) and I've been able to customise the distro exactly the way I like it. I've also tried Gnome, works great but I still prefer KDE. ;D

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: OpenSUSE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
I recently tried OpenSUSE and did enjoy it. It was probably my favorite KDE distro but I cannot stay away from Ubuntu. It does everything I want and with less hassle than other distros. Everyone has their preference and that is why I am thankful there are a lot to choose from.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:59:22 PM by joejohnston3 »
Joe Johnston

Offline Rintarou

• Uses Debian, Arch & OpenSUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:40 PM »
Awesome, I was an avid Ubuntu user for a long time but I thought I'd branch out a bit, and OpenSUSE just feels fantastic. Great point though; there is a Linux distro for everyone, it can just take a while to find the one you call home!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »
openSUSE Leap GNOME is my favorite so far. I'm pretty excited for Ubuntu 16.04, however, because Mir is going to be an option, so I might switch if that works out. The only problems I have with openSUSE is that media codecs aren't built in. I'm still waiting on Wayland to come out because I absolutely hate X-org.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »
I used OpenSuSe for a while on my laptop, 13.2 for ~4-5 months then LEAP for about a month.  I liked it quite a bit, got bored though lol.  I'm on Arch right now though.  FreeBSD is my primary OS on the laptop right now though.  I really like playing with new systems, and I generally like their init system and the ports tree (there's a reason I loved Gentoo so much lol).  Over the summer I'll be doing an in-place upgrade to FreeBSD 11 (they merged an experimental kernel with head bringing the i915 driver up to Linux 3.8 level support so my Haswell card will work in the generic kernel).  When I do that, Arch might get wiped with Gentoo going back on.  Depends on if I can find something like systemd-boot that will work with OpenRC, I can't go back to using GRUB2 on a UEFI system lol.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Now: Ubuntu 20.04. Previously: OpenSUSE/Manjaro
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
OpenSUSE is probably my favorite of all the RPM distros. I ran the KDE desktop a few years ago for maybe two months before switching to Arch Linux. I was in that phase of being tired of Ubuntu and was looking for a replacement. Fedora was meh, OpenSUSE I would seriously consider running again on my machine.
Theo!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: OpenSUSE
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
OpenSUSE is probably my favorite of all the RPM distros. I ran the KDE desktop a few years ago for maybe two months before switching to Arch Linux. I was in that phase of being tired of Ubuntu and was looking for a replacement. Fedora was meh, OpenSUSE I would seriously consider running again on my machine.
YEP that is why it got #3 on my list of 5 favorite distros for beginners!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline 3DAlvin

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
I really liked this distro. Stable and ran really well on my old old hardware. I'm looking forward to a tablet version of this.

Offline mikhail21393

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
OpenSUSE is from the greatest distributions I've ever used, the last version was 12.3 but since then they changed the Architecture to 64 bit only and I can't run OpenSUSE on my old Thinkpad T61 except for the old unsupported 32 bit versions of course, now I have to upgrade to up to 4GB of RAM to use 64 bit distributions that I've never had a chance try them.

One of these distributions are of course OpenSUSE LEAP and the TUMBLEWEED versions.
But why do I complain? LOL! I will upgrade that RAM and all will be handy dandy! :D