The future of COL game night
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: The future of COL game night  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
The future of COL game night
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »
Hello everyone;

Spatry has released the reigns of COL's weekly game night and is now being run by yours truly. Many other posts have discussed which games we would like to play as a community, though this time around there are no restrictions to which games we can play. Now preferably the games should run on Linux and should either be free to play or playable at a low cost. Any game will be taken into account though, so post away! Let me know what you would like to play each weekend and what time is good for you.
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: The future of COL game night
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »
I'd like to suggest the same list I suggested for the 24/7 server :)
*List*

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
All of those sound pretty good.  I've been playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 myself lately.  It would be cool to have some regulars to play with.  Any of the other games I like to play have a bit of a learning curve, require a bit of a time commitment to finish (well, depending on how it was set up, that might not be an issue, they are kind of like a mix of sandbox and strategy games so it could be feasible) and are a little pricey (not a big deal, over the past year they've been on Steam sales like 4 or 5 times, dropping in price by quite a bit actually).  On a semi-related note, if anyone has Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV, it would be nice to have someone to play with lol.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
Good evening,
I think I am going to start watching  Spatry's videos to help me setup steam on my Debian-based Ubuntu system. I have quite a bit of steam games which I bought many years ago.
-At54tl
-Luis

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
Re: Re: The future of COL game night
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:23 PM »
All of those sound pretty good.  I've been playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 myself lately.  It would be cool to have some regulars to play with.  Any of the other games I like to play have a bit of a learning curve, require a bit of a time commitment to finish (well, depending on how it was set up, that might not be an issue, they are kind of like a mix of sandbox and strategy games so it could be feasible) and are a little pricey (not a big deal, over the past year they've been on Steam sales like 4 or 5 times, dropping in price by quite a bit actually).  On a semi-related note, if anyone has Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV, it would be nice to have someone to play with lol.

I've picked up Team Fortress 2 again recently and like it. Have been thinking of setting up a server on my spare PC. Hopefully it would run one well.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
I really like all the balance changes they've made.  There are still issues, but it's better.  Just waiting for match making to be official at this point.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Would love to see this revived. I remember first seeing Spatry doing this and thought, "Now, that's an interesting way to bring the community together." and thought it seemed fun. I haven't seen it around for some time, but then again I don't think I have ever been on the Mumble channel... (going to fix this by the way :) ). Anyway, hope to see an update on it soon or the return of COL game night. Might just have to join in one of these days.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
The position is open Kalthrix... want to take it over?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
Re: Re: The future of COL game night
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
The position is open Kalthrix... want to take it over?

Hey Spatry, I really appreciate the offer! You bet I would be happy to take over COL game night. Would need to coordinate with everyone and see what day and time would work out best, also get some ideas of games that the community would be interested in playing. JayVii provided a list above that we can use as a baseline of free/low cost games and the build off of this. However, think this would be a great way for everyone to kick back.

Let me know of any requirements that you have or things you would like me to cover and it's a done deal.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:59:15 PM by Kalthrix »

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
If you need game suggestions:
https://games-jayvii.pagekite.me/ (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 06:11:31 PM »
Yep... you might want to sift through the boards... we have most of those discussions already... we just need someone to motivate people to join us for online gameplay...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Been checking it out. Lots of good games listed. Trying to work it out with my personal schedule. I think I may have finally got things worked out anyway. Will be gathering ideas here on the forums. Did you have a particular day that you would like COL Game Night to be on? Wednesday-Friday nights are best for me up until Sept 3rd when my work schedule changes and then my days off will be Friday through Sunday night (this schedule would probably work out better). Let me know what would work best and I will start working on getting everyone back in on game night.