Skyrim with MODS on LINUX + PROTON!
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX + PROTON!  (Read 14624 times)

Offline LaniusFNV

Re: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX + PROTON!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
THERE IS!

PS... Welcome to the community, LaniusFNV

Thank you Spatry!
I am going to try this out now.
Glad to have found this community.

Offline DeathByArch

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »
Quick question for those with experience managing Wine. I'm trying to get ModOrganizer to execute within the same Poton/Wine session as Steam. I have a modified run script, as per Spatry's tutorial,  but when executed I get an error:
Code: [Select]
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
I checked, and winemenubuilder.exe is definately in the c:\windows\system32 folder of the wineprefix referenced in the execution script:
#!/bin/bash
#Run game or given command in environment

cd "/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim"
DEF_CMD=("/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/ModOrganizer.exe")
PATH="/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/bin/:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/bin:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/lib32/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/var/lib/snapd/snap/bin:deathbyarch/.local/bin/:/home/deathbyarch/.local/bin/" \
TERM="xterm" \
WINEDEBUG="-all" \
WINEDLLPATH="/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/lib64/wine:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/lib/wine" \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/lib64:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/lib:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64:/usr/lib/libfakeroot:/usr/lib/GNUstep/Libraries:/usr/lib32:/usr/lib:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib:" \
WINEPREFIX="/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/72850/pfx/" \
SteamGameId="72850" \
SteamAppId="72850" \
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dxgi=n;d3d11=n" \
STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH="/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam" \
"/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/bin//wine64" "${@:-${DEF_CMD[@]}}"

Interestingly, if I run the following directly in a terminal, MO will start, but FNIS and LOOT will not see the mods when they are started from within MO:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/archfae/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/72850/pfx" WINEPATH="/home/archfae/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/bin/wine64" wine64 "/home/deathbyarch/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/ModOrganizer/ModOrganizer.exe"
I believe that this is because I'm not using the same Wine session. Any thoughts?
Fancy stuff goes here.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
Mod organizer has awful performance in WINE and on Steam Proton... The reason you are seeing this error is a symptom of NOT having the version of .net framework installed which the mod manager requires... For this reason, I manually manage my mods rather than using the NexusMM or MO. I have a VM windows installation I use for running Loot (granting it access to my skyrim folder only) and I manually edit the text file in my (proton) documents folder which manages the load order.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline DeathByArch

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
Thanks Spatry for the reply. In this case I have met all of the platform and framework requirements, and can get MO, LOOT, and FNIS all runnig fine, except when I try to use that modified steam-proton script which I believe contains all of the required resource and reference paths necessary. Hence my confusion.
Fancy stuff goes here.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
Here is something I have not thought of... sometimes I will run mod tools in a separate wine prefix and point the mod tools to the actual skyrim installation directory... Similar to what you have mentioned, were you able to have success with that method?

Offline aryell.linx

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »
Hello
I have a rather strange question about performance in skyrim LE for linux.
First thing first: SPECS: manjaro xfce x64 as OS
Proc: Intel I5-6600k Mem: 16 DDR4 3000mhz Videocard: NVIDIA 1060GTX 6GB game and os runs on a A-DATA sata3 240 GB SSD
Now... the good and the ugly: I kind of cheated with the installation i copied the profiles and mod installation from Mod Organizer 2 when i had windows 10 home.
Installed it in wine 4.0 with the caviat that i did manually but checking with the POL script (btw: kind of old that script 1.7.3 for wine?) the game works animations and everything (got something special from that site you said is NSFW a lot of something mods ... anyway). Long story short: I have a legit copy of Skyrim and also somehow i kept the "backup" from my pirating days.
So I first tested steam version legit copy and it runs like #$@ like all the bethesda games in my library (also tested fallout 4 steam so far in proton) the mouse is laggy and the overall performance is terrible. The craked version, which is just 2 executables TESV.EXE and the launcher, bypassed steam and ran perfectly almost (for a bethesda game in wine) no mouse lag... I was hopping to play the legit version of skyrim. Any suggestions ? in windows the game ran perfectly for a bethesda game... same hardware.
PS. I did the cracking of skyrim trying to get proton to work by the same way i got a few of my GOG games to work by coping the dist folder from proton steam. But steam windows version refuses to start with proton and Play on Linux. wish there was a GOG Galaxy client for linux...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 07:31:37 AM »
Welcome aryell.linx, I am no expert but I would imagine your machine specs are adequate for running the game in Wine or Proton.

It is understood that some games require a patched executable in order to run some games in Wine. This is not the case with Skyrim. Let me make it clear that we do not give support for pirated software. Whenever I play Skyrim, I will manually create a new profile... I will not copy old data over, better to start fresh.

So far, I have been able to get all of the tools EXCEPT LOOT running... for that I use Virtualbox and point to my mod directory as a shared folder... then it will give me a load order. Everything else works fine in proton and you can check out ProtonDB for instructions on getting LE or SE working. Presently I do not have Skyrim installed as I am enjoying other games from my library in my free time.

I DO NOT USE mod organizer or any other mod tool... I manually do my mods... this way I know exactly what is being overwritten in my game. It is my understanding that the SE version runs much better and is less buggy than LE but lots of mods have not been ported to the newer version yet.

Offline aryell.linx

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
Thank you for the reply. Skyrim in proton works great but could not get to work with external mod organizing tools to work... POL was no help. tried with esync options and dxvk on and off but the frame rate although 60fps is very "Choppy", screen tearing is the word I believe. And moving around the screen and character seems to exacerbate the problem, when it translates from directx to vulkan in realtime the tearing and framerate drops occur, I've seen this with fallout 4 proton latest version beta and nornal. Performance is not on par with windows native directx. Modding (and I like to do a lot of modding) is kind of off the table here. But on the good side other games work flawless especially GOG ones with proton. I think I managed to run the GOG installer with lutris, but it's features like gametime and achievements recording do not work with any game that I tried in my library. I think I will just dual boot for now... PS. Seems the system requirements for proton/wine are much higher then normal native Directx, witch is is a pity. Anyway about Loot, the mod organizer sorting internal utility works just fine. You should do an updated video on skyrim sometime in the future. Maybe for other Windoze native games as well. Thanks anyway.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Re: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX + PROTON!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »
I have been able to get all of the tools EXCEPT LOOT

It seems to work fine if you set WINE to emulate a desktop environment.

Open winecfg using a terminal and under the graphics tab check "Emulate a Virtual Desktop".

I noticed that a lot more programs seem to work better when there's a set common resolution. I have mine set to 1600 x 900, since I have a 1080 TV, that size works great for me.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Thanks Crimson, I will have to put that to the test for LOOT... IF I decide to reinstall Skyrim anytime soon...

aryell.lynx, my old AMD/ATI laptop is not as powerful as your machine and I did not have any problems running TESV LE. Not sure what your problem is... I would try installing from scratch, making new configurations and not using any mod managers... that is what worked for me...

Offline supashang

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
Very nice. I finally have a fully modded Skyrim working on Xubuntu after a bit of tweaking from this guide. Thank you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
You are welcome... So glad you found my guide to be useful. CHEERS!