Hi from a new UK Manjaro user
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Hi from a new UK Manjaro user  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Andrew

Hi from a new UK Manjaro user
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Hi there

I'm from the UK and have used linux since about 2000, and used it solely from about 2006.  Now, I bet you're all thinking I'm some command line geek with all that experience... WRONG!   Unfortunately since 2007 I have been an Ubuntu user, enough said right.  Last year I changed to Mint because I didn't like the path Canonical are following and tried a couple of others too such as Debian, SolydX, Linuxlite etc.

The problem was none of them excited me.  I remembered when I first installed Mandrake 6 how excited I was, I felt I was on the cutting edge and learning something new something few others did.  Well, to cut a long story short, lately I've felt like Ubuntu et al have been squeezing the life out of my enthusiasm and have given me nothing in return.

Then I saw Spatry talk about Manjaro so I googled it, liked what I saw and now I've made the switch.  I feel excited again about linux.  I think Manjaro have struck the right balance between giving us a fully featured out-of-the-box experience while, being based on Arch, has plenty of learning potential.

It's great to be part of the forum.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:26:29 PM by Andrew »

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
Re: Hi from a new UK Manjaro user
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
welcome to the Spatry's cup of linux forum Andrew, hope you enjoy your stay here ;)
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Welcome to the community Andrew! Thanks for dropping in to say hello! We are happy to have you here with us!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
hello andrew welcome to spatry's funny farm meds to the left jackets to the right and dont forget to get your copy of gnu/linux at the nurses station enjoy your stay
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline DolphinT

• -: #! :-
    • Hy on Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »
Welcome from Northants!

(I have to add this text to meet the fifteen word requirement)

Offline CEUOTC

• SUPPORTER!
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »
Welcome Andrew, good to see you are getting on with Manjaro, much like yourself l am a Manjaro user with more Technical Hardware ability than software ability and rely on the guys here in the forum to keep me straight every time l try something new and brake something.

C.
Peppermint OS9

Lurking as work still busy :)

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
Welcome to Spatry's Cup of Linux! Drop by the chatroom for all things Linux!

Manjaro is a fine choice indeed! I was a Ubuntu user myself for 2 years before going to Arch, but the Unity desktop I think is nice!

Cheers!
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!