[SOLVED] A PlayOnLinux sound problem (working with other apps)
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: [SOLVED] A PlayOnLinux sound problem (working with other apps)  (Read 12477 times)

Offline daydream

Hy, could anyone please help me with a sound problem in PlayOnLinux? I've already asked on their forum, but I don't understand what exactly they mean with the last post and I'm kinda embarrassed to further press this problem (it already looks like I'm insisting too much..)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If someone could please 'translate' for me in a series of concrete steps what is to be done in this situation--making PlayOnlLinux's sound coexist with other apps's sound?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:11:52 AM by daydream »

Offline FOSS-user

Re: A PlayOnLinux sound problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »
It seems like they are saying you can have only one sound server running at any one time, either alsa or pulseaudio.
Linux since 1999, & now OpenBSD.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
Correct me, if i'm wrong... But AFAIK, pulse sits on top of ALSA. So pulse REQUIRES ALSA.
The issue you are having is that certain applications seem to overtake some soundchannels, blocking them for other apps.

Could you tell us your wine-version used in playonlinux (check in the settings) and if there is pulseaudio installed and running on your system.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
pulseaudio --kill
pulseaudio --start
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:48:17 PM by JayVii »

Offline Bendo

• Forum Staff
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »
They are suggesting to install a different version of wine, for example wine-staging:
wine-staging, wine patched with extra funtionality including CSMT, PulseAudio, ACL and CUDA support

Have you installed the program 'pavucontrol'? In case you didn't do so, open it while a game is running with playonlinux and check if it's recognized, set to the right sound card and volume is up.

Offline daydream

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:51:41 AM »
Hi everyone and thanks for answering.

My PlayOnLinux wine is 1.6.2 and in its winecfg Audio tab has Driver Diagnostics - Selected Driver: winealsa.drv
My system wine (the Wine installed before PlayOnLinux) is also 1.6.2 and its winecfg Audio tab has Driver Diagnostics - Selected Driver: winepulse.drv

Yes, it seems pulseaudio exists on my system. I ran
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
pulseaudio --kill
pulseaudio --start
and the media player crashed after first command (pulseaudio --kill), then I could play sound file again after second command (pulseaudio --start)

I don't know if I have pavucontrol installed. Maybe?! Here is how my sound control panel looks like:

And I can't open this sound control window while a game is running.  Also, if I open it before a game is running in PlayOnLinux, the game again has no sound!

Again, my normal system Wine has no such problems. Only PlayOnLinux has.

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't find a way to post the picture directly here. I'd appreciate any advice on this as well.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:06:11 AM »
Yes, pavucontrol is installed (your screenshot). see in the last tab of pavucontrol if is set to "Duplex".

Try setting the wine-version in PlayOnLinux to "system".

images can be uploaded to tinypic, imgur or just any other image-hoster and then be embedded here with either the "[image]" tags or by pressing the little image-icon in the upper panel.

Offline daydream

Re: Re: A PlayOnLinux sound problem
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »
Yes, pavucontrol is installed (your screenshot). see in the last tab of pavucontrol if is set to "Duplex".

Try setting the wine-version in PlayOnLinux to "system".

Ok, it's working now! :) 

In the last tab of pavucontrol, there is "Built-In Audio Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex".

In the main PlayOnLinux window, "Configure" tab, I set the 32default profile to "System" and it now works.

It works because now it uses as sound driver pulseaudio and not alsa, right?

I still want to ask 2 questions:

1. Are there any drawbacks from configuring PlayOnLinux to use system Wine?

2. What if in the future system Wine will use other sound driver and this trick will not work anymore?

Thanks.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:31 AM »
1. Are there any drawbacks from configuring PlayOnLinux to use system Wine?

Nope. It will most likely work as intended, as long as your system wine is about the version you wanted to use in POL. You probably have wine-stable installed on your system which is 1.6.X at the moment.

2. What if in the future system Wine will use other sound driver and this trick will not work anymore?
I doubt this will happen... Quality distributions usually test for these kind of things and make sure it will work as intended. PlayOnLinux on the other hand manages it's wine-versions themselves, so you depend on them not screwing things up.

Offline daydream

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 01:10:37 AM »
Ok, thank you, JayVii. Guess it's ok to mark this topic SOLVED now.