Wine, and Linux Gaming Efficient?
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Wine, and Linux Gaming Efficient?  (Read 3480 times)

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
« on: April 03, 2015, 04:14:40 PM »
As a predominant DirectX 9 gamer, I've been looking through the Wine HQ, and am quite surprised. Nearly all of my favourite games work! I just recently even installed Gutterball Golden Pin Bowling, no hiccups.
But as a whole, how efficient is Wine for games, and the future of open source Unix gaming? It seems that majority of DX 9 titles, least the ones I like are fine.  DirectX 10.x too with patches, depending on popularity.
What our your guy's thoughts on the matter? I'd really like to hear some opinions. I'm a previous OS X user, so I know how painful Wine compatibility wrappers can be. Typically, I only use it for some old software and games.
In the end, I leave my gaming to Gamecube/Wii/360 most of the time. But I do a lot of earlier 2k's stuff on my computer.
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
Re: Wine, and Linux Gaming Efficient?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
Wine can typically run DX9 games at least at a decent level. It all depends on how much time you're willing to put into setting it up. The key is to also check You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for programs before you try to install and run them.
In example, I just installed Skyrim yesterday but am still suffering from slow disk reads/writes and from audio asynchronization/skipping; so it's not always an easy process to get things to work. For higher-powered games you may want to turn your settings lower than they would be on windows (unless they support OpenGL) as there is some translating going on at some level.
Also, pay attention to the notes on the AppDatabase; some programs (Skyrim) have some awkward install instructions that sway from the normal. You can also look into PlayOnLinux and see if it supports your games, if it does then it will make installation easier.

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
Re: Re: Wine, and Linux Gaming Efficient?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wine can typically run DX9 games at least at a decent level. It all depends on how much time you're willing to put into setting it up. The key is to also check You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for programs before you try to install and run them.
In example, I just installed Skyrim yesterday but am still suffering from slow disk reads/writes and from audio asynchronization/skipping; so it's not always an easy process to get things to work. For higher-powered games you may want to turn your settings lower than they would be on windows (unless they support OpenGL) as there is some translating going on at some level.
Also, pay attention to the notes on the AppDatabase; some programs (Skyrim) have some awkward install instructions that sway from the normal. You can also look into PlayOnLinux and see if it supports your games, if it does then it will make installation easier.
Yeah, I know how it works. And I rarely use it outside some older games. When I use Linux, I use Linux software. Only issue I have atm is with Ultimate Spider-Man. It runs well in windowed mode, but suffers major audio defection. Plays, and loops about 10 seconds later. This is annoying because it runs great otherwise.
Are there known fixes for audio issues under Wine? I own the game pm GC btw, I just like recording footage sometimes.
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »
Yeah, there are both known issues and fixes. Though the program being run through wine can be a factor as well. The official documentation for Wine and Sound can be found here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »
DX9 gaming in WINE is spectacular. Even games which require Physx are working very well. I have not tried DX10 or DX11 games.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
for the most part DX9 games in wine are good, most recently i've been playing C&C red alert 3 in wine and it's great.

Although some have the odd audio or video(as in fmv) issue where they used funky weird windows only proprietary codecs hat dont play nice with wine. So always best to check wine app db

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »
FMV videos can be fixed in WINE by enabling "Strict Draw Ordering" This can be done easily in Playonlinux in the display options menu. Audio issues can be fixed by not running any other programs which require sound. There are some other tweaks which are available... Google is your friend on that one...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!