[SOLVED] Manjaro Won't Boot (fixed with chroot)
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Manjaro Won't Boot (fixed with chroot)  (Read 55981 times)

Offline ManjaroFan

• Cup Of Linux Member
[SOLVED] Manjaro Won't Boot (fixed with chroot)
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:21:36 PM »
I updated the system and now when I turn on my computer while it's booting up the screen will flash then show black then go back to startup screen again. JayVii told me it was a problem with X but he couldn't help me fix my problem. Please help me fix this. Thanks.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Manjaro Screen Flashes And Won't Boot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:38 AM »
Are you able to get into a TTY by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 there you can log in with a user name and password?

At the grub prompt, can you go into advanced options and choose to boot with a different kernel?

When you ran your updates did you use the GUI or did you use
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Syyuuntil it told you that there is nothing left to do before rebooting?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline ManjaroFan

• Cup Of Linux Member
Re: Re: Manjaro Screen Flashes And Won't Boot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
Are you able to get into a TTY by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 there you can log in with a user name and password?

At the grub prompt, can you go into advanced options and choose to boot with a different kernel?

When you ran your updates did you use the GUI or did you use
sudo pacman -Syyu
until it told you that there is nothing left to do before rebooting?
I am not able to get to a TTY and i don't have another kernel. I used pamac to install updates

EDIT: Actually when it finished updated it showed a warning error on my computer but sadly I wasn't able to read it. After like 5 seconds of that it rebooted automatically and then that was when it broke.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:40:02 AM by manjarofan2013 »

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
This is going to be hard to trouble shoot without seeing a picture of the warning or something.  Are you using the Grub bootloader?
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »
IT appears something was messed up by that dammm GUI installer... I do not know how many times I tell people to update with
sudo pacman -Syyuuntil it reports there is nothing left to do.

I am guessing he cannot even get to a prompt to get the updates installed properly... so I guess he will need to backup the home directory and reinstall...

ALSO after an update NEVER just turn off the machine... patiently wait for the system to shut-down or reboot by itself... You may find your system will not boot if you do that... at least it happened to me once...

IF the home directory is in IT'S OWN partition, not shared with root, then you can reinstall Manjaro and tell it NOT to format the home partition. Your settings for applications will be preserved.

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:28 PM »
This actually may be salvageable.  I've done much worse to my Gentoo machine.  Him and I are working on chrooting into the machine and running the update again that way.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »
Thanks for chipping in lcRONOS... Also while you are chrooted try to get him on the devault driver for the video... I suspect that could be the problem
sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300 -f

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
No problem, I enjoy troubleshooting.  And I'll do that.  He's taking a short break, but when we get back to it, I'll point him to the thread so he can check that out too.

Unfortunately, while chrooting in worked the internet connection did not.  He couldn't get pacman to run so it looks like a reinstall is necessary.  He booted in verbose mode and the last thing on the screen was something about accounts service.  If someone can help him set up an internet connection from the LUI that would make it possible for him to fix it.

Here are the chroot commands for his system
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# cd /mnt/
# mount -t proc proc proc/
# mount --rbind /sys sys/
# mount --rbind /dev dev/
# mount --rbind /run run/
# chroot /mnt
  I've taken this as far as I can.  If someone can take things from here he may be able to save his system.  I'd help more if I knew how to configure internet settings from the command line.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:01:32 PM by lcRONOS »

Offline ManjaroFan

• Cup Of Linux Member
[SOLVED] Re: Re: Manjaro Screen Flashes And Won't Boot
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
Thanks to IcRONOS and Spatry i was able to get me system back up and ruuning. Basically all you have to do is boot in to any live cd and chroot into your system. Spatry will go into detail with that.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:37 PM »
An Ubuntu LIVE disk was used to chroot into a Manjaro installed system. Isn't Linux wonderful?

In this case... Manjarofan2013 has 2 partitions
         /dev/sda1 = /
          /dev/sda2 = SWAP
So the procedure to get chrooted into the system and effect a repair is not as daunting as you might think. Using just about any LIVE cd... You can access your system and effect repairs. In this case it was a corrupt video driver. It was unknown as to whether or not updates completed successfully.

First we need to elevate user privledges while booted into the live cd.
sudo sunext you can find out which partitions you need to mount
lsblk -fAs aforementioned, there are 2 partitions. /dev/sda1 is the partition we must work with. The syntax to mount this Manjaro system is:
mount /dev/sda1 /mntNow we change to the root directory of the mounted partition.
cd /mntNext a series of commands are executed so we can work within the installed system which needs to be fixed.
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
We will need to download files into our installed system to effect repairs:
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.confand now we can chroot into the system and work with pacman
chroot /mntWe are GOLDEN NOW... a series of commands can be executed
sudo pacman-mirrors -g
sudo pacman -Syyu
A video driver problem prevented the system from booting so we rolled back to the FREE driver:
sudo mhwd -a pci free 0300 -fClose the terminal and reboot... PROFIT... the system can be accessed now.

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: [SOLVED] Manjaro Won't Boot (fixed with chroot)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:10 AM »
Great input and work, mCOLe team! You all are amazing and such a blessing to the community. Thank you.
Joe Johnston
Linux Mint

Offline trzalica

• Manjaro Xfce
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:28:46 AM »
Really nice tutorial Spatry! :) It's nice to know that it's possible to chroot into Manjaro even with Ubuntu live CD.
Maintainer of AUR packages:
apache22
php-apache22

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
Someone should put up a chroot-tutorial on the CupOfLinux WIKI! Because this is something pretty neat that you don't stumble upon every day

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
Using chroot is a clever way to fix a broken OS which you cannot boot into. I have done it in the past to repair GRUB (boot partition had to be mounted as well)
mount /dev/[partition used for GRUB] /mnt/bootand it has other possibilities. I posted these instructions here as a reference as I tend to forget things and using chroot is something I rarely do. The Wikipedia explains some of the many benefits of using chroot and you can read about it HERE.

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
I'll look into adding a chroot guide in the wiki at some point, though it does differ a little bit by the distro you are using.  When I started using Gentoo I got a lot of experience with it, as it is the easiest way to fix problems that show up.  It's saved my butt in OpenSuSe too, very useful to know how to do.