Cup of Linux Gaming Tournament
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Cup of Linux Gaming Tournament  (Read 10087 times)

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
Cup of Linux Gaming Tournament
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »
Cup of Linux Tournament Discussion

Congratulations to JayVii, Winner of The Cup of Linux Game Night Tournament. Manjarofan2013 Won the Drawing! Thanks to everyone who participated in the tournament.
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: Cup of Linux Gaming Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »

I wish to take part in the tournament. Please send me a message containing dates and times of when I, and other members, will be playing, as well as the final match date.

Really excited for this! You guys should probably advertise it on youtube as well. :)

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
I wish to part take in the tournament. Please send me a message containing dates and times of when I, and other members, will be playing, as well as the final match date.
HOWEVER: I can not guarantee my attendance due to the nature of how life works. If I am late, I will forfeit the current bracket.
QUESTION: Is it single, or double-elimination? (Losers go to an auxiliary bracket?)

Offline Deckard Cain

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
Double elemenination may be a good idea actually, because then that way if you are absent at least you'll get another chance to get in on the action :P I'll have to see what everyone else thinks of the idea. For anyone else that is reading this after the fact: if you think this is a good idea, POST ABOUT IT.

It will be advertised on Youtube. Spat has actually commissioned myself to create a video regarding it :S I may break your screens with my beautiful image though...
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Leck

• www.Lecksite.com
    • Lecksite
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »

“I wish to part take in the tournament."

here is a suggestion of the way official E3 used to be handled 15 years ago.  i was playing soulcalibur 2 and officially ranked 7th in pa usa using this system.  

if you want to have the finals at 7p (second place trying to take first place) on game night and the official games during the week, that would be helpful.  you could keep a ladder on the forum where you are able to challenge anyone 1-9 levels above you for position (but not first place).  they have 24 hours to set the time, and you have 24 hours to approve it.  you may only challenge once per week.  this allows for the tornament to take place during the week and everyone to watch the finals.  

the 2nd place is the only one who can challenge the first place and the 2nd place has to win 2 whereas the first place only has to win 1.  everyone can spectate this round starting at 7p.  

this is only a suggestion how to handle the ranking.  i found it very useful to handle a ladder so you can say you are "10th best" in openra instead of simply "not a winner" .  it boiled down to the person running the ladder set a 1 hour time 3x a week (MWF) where he was available to oversee the battles.  the person overseeing or hosting (deckard) will be spectating the games he is not playing to make sure nobody is cheating and nothing goes wrong.  

sorry for the long post.  obviously single elimination is easier but it could take a few hours if you do it before the tornament, and having run many tornaments in my life, there are potential logistical problems handling the tornament the way deckard suggested, due to the fact 90% of people will be doing nothing but be required to be available to play if they want to stay in the tornament.  it's a lot of people sitting around, and i think another way to handle it is better.  it doesn't have to be a ladder format like i suggested.  

newbielink:http://www.Lecksite.com/leck.html [nonactive]

advanced programmer

Offline Deckard Cain

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »
That is a VERY interesting way of doing it, the only issue is those who want to view the whole tournament (each game) and how to moderate this. The main thing that I didn't like about my system is that not everyone can play everyone else, I would really like to play against Jay, but there is a possibility that it may not happen...
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
Editing note: Previously referenced Round Robin, this was in error. While both are non-elimination tournament styles, the Swiss system is shorter as it requires fewer rounds among participants, albiet at the cost of not everyone being able to play everyone. In serious tournaments, the Swiss system is used as a preliminary to rank the best "seeds" for an elimination tournament.

Solution, we could play a Swiss System Tornament
If you've ever played a regional/local OCG/TCG such as Magic or Yugioh, you've probably played using the Swiss System at least once.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:36:36 PM by TheFlagCourier »

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
Well, if there are enough players, we could probably set something up like they do it in the soccer (it's called football!!!) world cup:

1. group-phase:
all players get divided into groups (of 3 or 4), usually randomly. Here you have to challenge the other 2 (or 3) players. If you win a match, you gain 1 point.
This will result in "group-ladders". The first and second best player of each group advances to the next phase.

2. KO-phase:
basic single elimination / KO.

Obviously, that way you also will not battle everyone else, but at least everyone in your group.

The main thing that I didn't like about my system is that not everyone can play everyone else, I would really like to play against Jay, but there is a possibility that it may not happen...
I feel honored (:

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
Everything looks great Deckard! We will make the first official announcement during our Next Zoo Crew Podcast, Saturday March 14, 2015 7PM
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Leck

• www.Lecksite.com
    • Lecksite
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »

you could open up qualifying matches a few hours before for seeding the first week if people want to be seeded.  

as for the not watching matches, i think the ladder is a good idea if this becomes popular.  it seems like a lot of trouble in the beginning to do a ladder.  you can easily record matches if people want to challenge without any notice.  i think the minority of people care about watching every match.  the best 2 players is a good idea to record and save each week no matter what format is chosen.  

i think an fps game is good for tornaments too.  i hope an fps game is added to game night soon even in place of star conflict if it has to.  i don't know how much fun people are having with a partial progression based game when more people are familiar with fps.  
newbielink:http://www.Lecksite.com/leck.html [nonactive]

advanced programmer

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »
We used to play Xonotic / Alien Arena earlier, when we did gamenight for the first time

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
EDITED VERSION FOR REGULAR MEMBERS: STAFF CAN SEE THIS POST IN THE STAFF LOUNGE:

One of our members has given me 3 Steam keys to award during the tournament. Unfortunately, These games are for Windows and as far as I can tell, they do not have a Linux port.
The games are:
                           Dead Space (Wine GOLD Ranking)
                           Crysis 2 (Wine GOLD Rankings)
                           Medal of honor (Wine GOLD Ranking)
These games should run well when Steam is installed with Playonlinux and it is my understanding that these are popular FPS games. I need to figure out the best way to distribute these games.... I have made some suggestions to STAFF and I will take note of their ideas on how to distribute these prizes.

This should not be a problem since many of our community members dual boot or use WINE to run their games.

EDIT: I considered TRADING the steam keys for other Linux titles and found they have places for swapping steam keys BUT I found those sites to be confusing.

On mumble it was mentioned that SINCE this is a Linux community, we should not be giving away games for Windows even with the intent on running them in WINE... I am caught between the "Scylla and Charybdis" on this one... Should I just keep the Windows Steam keys and just buy 3 Linux titles to give away?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
If we play Age of Empires II or free games that are similar then sure.

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 12:51:27 AM »
@Spatry,
I suggest, since they were donated, sell them for the war chest. As long as the buyer pays via Paypal, and the keys work that is. You can then liquidate the funds into a trinity / humble bundle with linux games, or add them to your upkeep funds. Maybe you could even have TOS give them away on his channel as a prize or something in exchange for something else, but I must agree with the majority of the mumble users in that those games really don't fit the purpose or prose of the community or the site.
As for alternatives, I can donate a at least one game, I'll send *Deckard a pm with the key(s).

*Edit: Forgot Spatry blocks non-staff.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:01:23 AM by TheFlagCourier »

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
I wish to part take in the tournament. Please send me a message containing dates and times of when I, and other members, will be playing, as well as the final match date.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!