Return of the Linux Zoo Crew: Linux for laptops
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Return of the Linux Zoo Crew: Linux for laptops  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Return of the Linux Zoo Crew: Linux for laptops
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »
In this episode we talk about considerations when purchasing a laptop to run Linux along with tips for keeping your portable computers maintained. Power saving tips HERE.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Grizzly907LA

Re: Return of the Linux Zoo Crew: Linux for laptops
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

Great podcast!
Installing Linux on a laptop used to be a pain in the rear. Its become much easier in recent years. I have an Acer E15 laptop. Its a low end laptop (can't afford much else,) and I run Chalet OS on it, because 4 gigs of ram won't cut it with Windows 8.1. I can upgrade the RAM but everyone knows that its a pain in the butt to unbutton a laptop (my main pc is a desktop for that reason.) It runs great, everything works, though the touchpad is a little wonky because its one of the new ones ($15 usb mouse from Amazon fixed that.) Install was flawless (I had to tweak the language settings because, but that had nothing to do with the hardware.) I used clonezilla to back up the windows install in case I need to return it. 
I bought it off of Amazon after reading the reviews for it and asking questions. I won't go to worst buy, or Staples for computer equipment unless its an absolute emergency. I went there once for some memory, it was overpriced, and told them to shove off after they suggested I get a new laptop. Went to crucial and found the memory I need for less money. Read the reviews and ask questions if you decided to buy a laptop off of Amazon or NewEgg. The amounts of stars given is not a good indicator because someone will rate it 5 stars after having it for a week.
I would recommend that people purchase a cool pad for between $20 or $40. Laptops are not meant to be used non stop and they burn out faster than desktops, because you have many electronic components crammed into one place. Cool pads help mitigate that. Linux also has utilities that you can download too monitor temperature and fan speed. 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
With proper care a laptop can last several years even with rigorous daily use. At least that has been my personal experience. Thanks for chiming in, Grizzly.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline keith

• I Do Have Dyslexia so if my spelling is off sorry.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
great video on Linux on laptop as i use laptop all the time for work and home I use Linux on a acer and a dell laptop for work one with Ubunu and Manjaro on a other. dell can be a bit hard with hardware to find after removing window. the wireless card as you say on the video.
keith

Offline Coastie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
Very educational video. I hope you will do another one on Linux desktops too even though a lot of what was discussed also could apply for desktops.

A lot of the Linux preinstalled computers seem kinda high compared to Dell. The only computers with Linux that I could find on the Dell website was a couple of high end laptops for developers. (Kinda partial to Dell because I have had one and used them at work for years.)

Some specific links to Dell, HP, etc. computers that would play nice with Linux would be helpful for shoppers. $200 - $400 range?
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.