Hello
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Velkro

Hello
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »
Hi Folks, My name is Velkro and I'm a Linux-aholic.
Whilst I still consider myself a new user when using Linux, I have been trying very hard to learn more for some time but having being having a penchant for Gaming this has been less than easy.

When it comes to computing in general I was a bit of a late developer, getting my first PC in 2000 and at that time in my late 20's ;) Through my general curiosity I found myself spending hours trying different pieces of software to try and achieve daily and sometimes specific tasks and this curiosity eventually drew me towards an interesting new world.
My first "brush" with Linux involved trying to install Red Hat 7.- which never went too well then I tried suse and later settled for Mandrake 8.- back then instalers were not that "user friendly" trying to set resolutions etc so I packed my disks away and continued gaming.
Over the years I always kept a little eye on the Linux world and have enjoyed watching the ecosystem grow to now a more mature and more usable state.
I was a fairly early adopter of Ubuntu (although the brown theme did scare me a little) and remember receiving through the post my first disk...happy days. At that time I was spending more and more time playing games that I was distracted and dare I say it too lazy to read and learn what I needed to to satisfy all my needs. I also gave Fedora a run at the start as it was often a good base for game servers, but there was always something that was missing.
I would probably say over the last two or three years I have been paying Linux a lot more attention. Revisiting Ubuntu was a real boon and then Mint which has kept me fairly satisfied for the most part. I have also tried many other distros (mostly in VMs) and have been impressed with progress within this world that is Linux.
My knowledge is still very limited but I am keen to try and glean what I can when I can. I subscribe to some publications like Linux Format and Linux Voice and l subscribe to podcasts and have spent a lot of time watching youtube tutorials and reviews. My hunger is intensifying. I have recently received my Raspberry Pi 2 to join my 3 other Pi Bs and enjoy trying fun simple little projects.
I must confess I still have the gaming bug (meaning, I do have a Win7 box) and suppose I always will but I am trying very hard to, if I can, carry out as many other tasks using Linux. I currently have settled for Linux Mint on my laptop although I have been thinking of making a hardware install of Makulu Linux.

anyway sorry for the long intro.

hope to speak to you all soon (although I can be a little shy and tend to listen more than speak)

in a bit

Velkro
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:54:47 PM by Velkro »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »
Welcome to the community Velkro and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. We hope you have lots of fun while you are here. Cheers :D
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
We are glad to have you here, Velkro! Welcome to the forum.
Joe Johnston
Linux Lite

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
Hello Velkro! Welcome to the Cup of Linux Forums! Have a look around and feel free to join us in the chatroom or on Mumble voice chat, if you would like to.
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »
allo velkro and welcome too the forum
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Bendo

• Forum Staff
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:53 AM »
Hi Velkro,
welcome to the community, interesting story.
You said you want to lean about Linux so maybe you find some of those links helpful  
http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php/topic,3019.msg18367.html#msg18367