Will you ever try BSD again?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Will you ever try BSD again?  (Read 18135 times)

Offline OrvilleG

Will you ever try BSD again?
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:38 PM »
BSD may not have as much support as Linux but it is still good
I know you said you  wouldn't but C'mon give it a try.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:09:28 AM by EricG »

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Re: Will you ever try BSD again?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »
I'd probably be using BSD if the wireless support didn't suck so much.  I've used a couple of supported cards but they don't work very well.  I never had a consistent connection, even at home, and when I did have a connection the signal was always very weak.  Until the wireless situation is ironed out, BSD will never be useful on a laptop.  I'm not the only one to have this trouble either.  NetBSD has the best hardware support, supposedly rivaling Linux, but I couldn't get the wireless working during install, even on an open WiFi connection.  It's not just a lack of support from forums and such, it's that the drivers don't work well for most people.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
What wifi card do you have? If its not supported you can try to install the driver from the official site
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:48:44 PM by EricG »

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
It's the BCM43142 now, Linux support isn't great for this card (not even Ubuntu works ootb with it).  When I last tried BSD it used the wpi BSD driver.  Even when the card was detected though I couldn't connect to a network, or if I did connections were horrible.  15 minutes to download Firefox, while Linux took 2-3 max.

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
Re: Re: Will you ever try BSD again?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
I would be nice if BSD ever got NetworkManager to.  

I'm curious about BSD on my netbook if the Wireless worked.  My netbook uses Broadcom4312. 

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
Try OpenBSD, I believe that Ben had posted something about them porting NetworkManager to OpenBSD.  It was in the other distros section.

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Well, just for the hell of it, I have FreeBSD on my Netbook.  I even have the Wireless working.  Slim is installed and loads me into LXDE.
I guess this kind of reminds me of using Slackware except it does have binary packages along with compiling ports. 
I tried installing Chromium from ports or the binary and it doesn't seem to want to run. 
Most things do work though.  I installed AbiWord and Firefox with no problem.  I'm using WifiMgr to manage wpa_supplicant.  I did think it was unusual I had to configure fstab to use HTOP. 
I guess I'm curious if Eric sees certain advantages to this system or if he just likes the "challenge" of configuring it.  Kind of like how some people like Gentoo. 
Are there applications native to FreeBSD I should be checking out that Linux doesn't have? 

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »
I know a very common reason a lot of people like BSD (and Gentoo) is the ports style package management.  Portage is supposedly the closest to a Linux alternative and it is extremely powerful, it's my favorite package manager honestly.  BSD and Gentoo are well liked due to the power they give the users, there are pretty much no restrictions beyond technical limitations (ie BSD's lack of hardware support).

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
EDIT:  I went back to Arch for a while, but now I'm trying FreeBSD on my netbook again. 

It seems that for some reason Chromium is unavailable, but it basically works fine with Firefox.  I do kind of miss PepperFlash, but I guess I could use SMPlayer to browse YouTube.

One thing I keep thinking about is whether this can benefit my Netbook with more security.  I've wondered if I should even consider trying OpenBSD. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:51:20 PM by videodrome »

Offline FOSS-user

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:44:24 AM »
I was mainly running AntiX or TinyCore Linux, but have been moving over to OpenBSD after having found some 'live' pendrive images to evaluate online.
I started with OpenBSD 5.4 'live', then installed 5.6 on 2 of my computers, a laptop & a desktop, then I upgraded it to 5.7 without any trouble. (Almost as easy as Debian upgrades.) I now have only 2 of 8 (laptops, desktops, & netbooks)  using Linux. OpenBSD comes in 32bit & 64bit.
Previously I had used FreeBSD 10 which also configured my wifi when installing it.
Broadcom are notorious for being difficult to set up, be it on Linux or BSD.
I have some usb wifi sticks & a TP-LINK usb that work well under OpenBSD using their urtwn driver that were somewhat iffy under Linux. 
Linux since 1999, & now OpenBSD.

Offline Coastie

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
I have gotten curious about BSD recently. I have been watching reviews on You Tube, etc. I have tried ever version I could find with a live DVD with a DE on my 64 bit and 32 bit computers. Some did not like my Intel graphic cards and would not display proper resolution or at all. Those that did were sluggish and programs crashed a lot or would not even start. I thought Intel graphic cards were very common and would be recognized.

I installed the GhostBSD 10.2 beta 2 on my test 32 bit test computer but it also was slow and sluggish. I have tried so many now, I forgot what the PC-BSD 9.1 32 bit did but it wasn't good.

Granted, I have two low spec machine but I have been able to run any Linux Distro I have tried. I do not see a need to buy a new computer to see if it will run a BSD that comes with a DE and a software manager.

I just continue to be happy with Linux. If another 32 bit version of BSD comes out with a DE and software manager, I would try it on my test computer but I doubt there will be one. :'(

(I noticed that I am a full member now! 100 posts must be the magic number. :) )
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:33:01 PM by Coastie »
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.

Offline FOSS-user

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:24:40 AM »
Everyone has their own priorities & favourites.
I used to think it was difficult, but now find it as easy to install BSD as Linux, but have to agree, we still need a good lightweight live BSD to tempt people to give BSD a go.
Linux since 1999, & now OpenBSD.

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
My experiment with FreeBSD was not a bad experience at all. Just one thing I know that the average user will not like and that is the ability to be able to view Netflix. This is a big deal when it comes to computers in my experience thus far. Here is my successful experiment below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDqaz-ygck

Would I use BSD as my everyday desktop for production? No. It does not meet all of my needs yet and I should not have to go and chase down drivers that should be there out of the box.

" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
I installed FreeBSD with Mate this morning. It was very easy to install for me. It is just a VBox install but it was easier to install than I thought it would be.

Now I will see how I like it.
Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline Coastie

Re: Re: Will you ever try BSD again?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
... Would I use BSD as my everyday desktop for production? No. It does not meet all of my needs yet and I should not have to go and chase down drivers that should be there out of the box.

Fishman, your videos are one of the reasons that I tried BSD. I like GhostBSD and PC-BSD because they already have a DE and a package manager. Might be willing to try installing a DE on FreeBSD if it would run on my test computer but I still wouldn't have a package manager.
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.