[SOLVED] DragonflyBSD get Desktop?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: [SOLVED] DragonflyBSD get Desktop?  (Read 9814 times)

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
[SOLVED] DragonflyBSD get Desktop?
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »
For some reason I keep poking around with BSDs out of curiosity.  I really have no problems with FreeBSD at least regarding packages.  The trickiest thing is to use wireless internet.  With FreeBSD 10, it's really simple to follow their documentation to get running with Xfce.  
I recently tried Dragonfly in a VM again and I find it behaves strangely or doesn't seem to work the way their documentation says.  I might start of very simply installing Nano with: pkg install nano.  It updates with Avalon then proceeds.  It finishes, but then I type nano and it says "nano: command not found".  
Similar result installing Xorg.  It will respond to Startx trying to load the X Window, but if I try to configure it with "Xorg -configure" it again says "command not found".  
I'm wondering if this OS is just very buggy or if there is something I'm missing.  Are they trying to cherry pick what works in FreeBSD and making a mess?  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:44:02 PM by videodrome »

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Re: DragonflyBSD get Desktop?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure what's happened there.  The only issue I had with Dragonfly is that my wireless didn't work properly (I had that issue with every BSD though so...).  Your install may be corrupt, did you verify the integrity of the .img? If I didn't already have my laptop set as a quadboot, and if there were drivers for my wireless card I'd give it a shot and see what's happening.  If after verifying your .img you still have issues let me know, and I'll set up a VM to test it.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
I didn't see where the MD5 was posted.  I just now Googled for it and found one big master list.  The MD5 did checkout.  
I was using the version 4.0.2.  I might try getting it again from a different mirror and make sure I get 4.0.3.
Did you use HAMMER?  Not sure if that makes a difference.  

EDIT:  Very strange.  I installed Nano as Root and it did not work.  Exited my profile and logged in as a regular user and it worked.  Logged out again and back in as Root and now Nano works.  Will try this with some other applications.  So far, this has allowed me to run Xorg -configure to begin setting up X Window. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:02:27 AM by videodrome »

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
That is strange, keep me posted on everything and if needed I'll set up a VM to test things. And as far filesystem, I used HAMMER since that is their recommended filesystem.

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:38 AM »
Okay, I thought HAMMER was recommended only for very large hard drives.  
Anyway, some progress has been made, but still have a bug.  The system seems to have a shortage of memory in /var/pkg/cache.  I was able to move forward configuring Xorg, but I think this memory issue is causing it to fail to launch Xfce.  
After Googling, I saw a post where someone solved this by re-installing and just upping the memory allotted that partition to a few Gigabytes.  

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »
Hmm, that is strange.  It sounds like you have it under control though.  BSD isn't necessarily difficult, it just doesn't always play nice with hardware.  If it worked with my laptop, I'd probably be using it rather than Linux as I agree with it's philosophy regarding software more than I do with Linux.

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
I re-installed and beefed up /var and /tmp with a few more Gigabytes.  This seems to have solved a problem I've had with Dragonfly when attempting to use it in the past when /var/pkg/cache would run out of memory preventing X from running or stopping me from running packages.  

Also, in the past I tried to follow this basic video and was blocked by this strange shortage of memory in /var.  With that addressed, I was able to get the Xfce desktop.  This tutorial doesn't seem to configure everything as it merely launches off of the full startxfce4 command.  I might take additional steps to work from just startx or a display manager.  It's a start though to help me decide if I want to mess with DragonFly.  
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c10NMoKWTgk[/youtube]

EDIT/UPDATE:  Giving more memory to partitions like /var helped solve a strange issue I had from running out of memory in /var/pkg/cache.  Then following this video tutorial helped me get Xfce.  However, it only starts with the startxfce4 command, not startx.  Startx seems to launch Dragonfly's own Window Manager for multiple text windows.  
Not quite sure what I would do if I wanted to handle getting the desktop with a Display Manager if Startx does not load Xfce4.  Usually to tweak this kind of thing I edit .xinitrc or /etc/rc.conf, but neither of these files exist. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:29:04 PM by videodrome »

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
Re: [SOLVED] DragonflyBSD get Desktop?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
BSD may put it's equivalent files in a different location.  Have to go to work in a few minutes, will check it out more when I get home.

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »
Thanks.  Just for the hell of it, I put FreeBSD on it and had the Xfce Desktop starting from Startx with no problem.  From there, I even added SLiM display manager and it logged me in.  
I think somewhere Dragonfly keeps associating Startx with it's own Window Manager.  

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
That may be the case.  In my experience FreeBSD and PCBSD were the best of the BSDs.  I kind of liked OpenBSD and NetBSD, but then PCBSD was the only one I could kind of get my wireless to work with LOL.  Enjoy your BSD system :)

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
I might try PC-BSD and see if it handles the wireless any better. 

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »
If you're having the same issues I did, then it'll help.  Good luck :)

Offline videodrome

• Linux & BSD user
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
For some reason, when I only install xorg-minimal, it does not associate startx with the Dragonfly Window Manager.  I was able to use startx to launch the desktop configured in the .xinitrc file. 
Unfortunately, I can't get the mouse to work in X11 or Xfce.  I did have Hald in the rc.conf file.  The strange thing is the mouse pointer works on the console. 
I think if I want to mess with BSDs anymore, it will have to be PC-BSD or FreeBSD.  Dragonfly has used up my patience and I don't get why FreeBSD is so much easier to setup.