Debian with FreeBSD kernel
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Debian with FreeBSD kernel  (Read 3728 times)

Offline petnokm

Debian with FreeBSD kernel
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:13:57 AM »
There is a Linux distro without the Linux kernel, but with the FreeBSD kernel.
It is Debian/kFreeBSD
I guess it would make interesting review.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Re: Debian with FreeBSD kernel
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
Well, that would make it a "BSD-Distribution", rather than a "Linux" one. However, I find this very interesting, indeed. I know that there is not only debian, but also ARCH-BSD. I'm not aware of its current state, though.

Offline petnokm

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Earlier I saw a reply from someone else too, but now I don't see it. Did it get deleted, or does my system or the server have some strange bug?

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »
That was me, I deleted it. I watched the video that I linked and it didn't talk about what I thought it would. I'm going to go home later tonight and read up on it and what Jay has posted, I've never heard of these things :P
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:33 PM »
There is Debian/kfreebsd, Arch BSD, and Gentoo/kfreebsd all are major Linux distros with the FreeBSD kernel, there's also Debian/hurd and Arch Hurd. I talked to the devs of Arch BSD about a year ago and it wasn't anywhere near ready to go.  They only had a couple of devs, and not many people knew about it, for a while Firefox said their website had a bad certificate, so it may be dead now.  However yes, that is a little bit out of the scope of this website (though other distros includes BSD).  Ben might review it at some point, as he reviewed Debian/hurd, though we'll see.  If there is enough interest and nothing is posted by the end of the semester (early May) then I'll look into doing a review/guide of installing it.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline 11ryanc

• Artist, writer, open source
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
Does this mean BSD has access to the rolling nature of Debian, packages as well?
"It's a mystery"
Velma -Scooby-Doo

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Well it's not quite rolling, it is basically just Debian but with a FreeBSD kernel as the base.  Last I checked they had 80% of the packages ported to it.  I couldn't get it running due to hardware incompatibilities though.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline FOSS-user

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
These are technically 'flavours' of BSD, as all software is compiled to run on the BSD kernel. I looked at Debian/kFreeBSD a while ago, the object was to use Debian's 'apt' instead of FreeBSD's 'pkg' package manager, which would have meant that all available Debian software would have been compiled to run on FreeBSD.
Linux since 1999, & now OpenBSD.