Do you think steam will be brought to BSD?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Do you think steam will be brought to BSD?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline OrvilleG

Do you think steam will be brought to BSD?
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »
I have it running on FreeBSD, but do you think there will be an official port?
I honestly don't think there will be due to the lack of support for some popular graphics cards and other hardware

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Do you think steam will be brought to BSD?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:23:09 AM »

It stands to reason that if Linux desktop applications can be ported to BSD, I am sure other programs can as well. If Steam client is open sourced, then I imagine someone could port it over.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:03:47 AM »
I doubt, Steam will EVER go opensource. It started out as a client for Valve's games, so they can keep them updated easily and offer them to those that play other VALVE-titles. Well, it transformed to what we know Steam as today - The largest Gaming platform on the PC (or in general) with well over 10Mio active players world-wide.
Valve chose Linux as base for their SteamOS, since it is free (gratis & opensource), so they can stay low-cost and modify whatever they want. Other than that, Valve really doesn't care about opensource at all.

So, Steam will most-likely never go opensource.
This however does not mean, that there won't be a BSD-version. But it stands to reason if it is worth the effort for them. After all, only 1,3% of SteamUsers are on Linux (OSX got 3-4%), and BSD would be MUCH, MUCH less than that.

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
I think it could happen eventually.  BSD needs updated drivers though.  Linux is still lacking, but compared to BSD, Linux is like Windows as far as driver support goes.  Now as for what BSDs would get Steam is the real question, if it were to ever happen, I only see FreeBSD getting it.  OpenBSD and NetBSD aren't even aimed at the gaming audience.  That brings up another issue, BSD's userbase is already small, and the percentage of users in the desktop space make up a real small percentage.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:37:41 AM »
I HIGHLY doubt, that Steam will be available specifically for BSD any time in the foreseeable future. However, I'm sure that some bright people out there may be able to get the Linux edition to run.

The reason I say this is, look at how long it took for Steam to jump on board the Linux train. Now look at the number of users on Linux VS the number of users on BSD. The number of BSD users is so small and so insignificant in Steam's eyes, that it would be a waste of their time to get it ported over.
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »
In all fairness the only reason Steam is on Linux is because of the Steambox.  Thinking on it, since FreeBSD and it's derivatives have a Linux binary compatibility layer, I suspect Valve wouldn't need to as the other BSDs aren't even really for the Desktop.

Offline guitargo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »
A few years ago, Steam on Linux was unthinkable. Now Linux has it, I can not see why Valve would port it now, but you never know. 

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:07 AM »
On a side note, how did you get Steam running in FreeBSD?  I tried using Wine and can't get games to launch.  Linux_base-c6 uses a kernel version that is too old but linux_base-f10 uninstall the nvidia driver.

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04EuZ9hpAI
That works on NetBSD, FreeBSD/FreeBSD base.
Those were the ones I tested

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
Okay, so you used the windows version not the linux version.  Either way I think I'm going to remove it from my desktop (some minor hardware issues, but enough that it was annoying).