Hello from Denver :)
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Hello from Denver :)  (Read 2348 times)

Offline polkat

Hello from Denver :)
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:30 AM »
Hello everyone!  

After a few days of snow, today was a nice day - about 55 degrees!  The great weather and having my wife mention that she may install Linux helped make my day.  She plays World of Warcraft - so this raises some questions about what distribution to suggest, etc.

My name is Jim, and I am a parent with two grand kids, and I love Trance music!  I've thought about trying to make some tunes using a Linux-based digital audio workstation (just not sure what one.)  Anyway, time is short, so I'll keep this short.  Have a good day. :)

Offline linuxbookpro

• Contributor
  • Web Designer
    • LinuxBookPro
Re: Hello from Denver :)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:00:43 AM »
Hey Jim,
I haven't played WoW via any particular distribution but If I were going to attempt it I'd start with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and install WINE.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft
Play on Linux is another application you may want to look into. It allows you to have multiple versions WINE available on the system.
A few years back I attempted the same thing but couldn't get past the installation. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did in 2011.
http://linuxbookpro.tumblr.com/post/11559033016/i-m-attempting-to-install-wow-on-arch-linux-using
-- Joseph Dickson
Web designer, distrohopper, coffee drinker.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »
Welcome to the community polkat. It is not so much a question of which distro you choose, it is more of a factor of whether or not WINE is configured properly... MY experience has shown you can have the same level of success of failure regardless of which distro you use. HERE are some case studies which can help you get the most out of WOW. Have fun while you are here :D
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Greetings Polkat, and welcome to the forum! Stay a while, and Linux! I used to play WoW quite some time ago in WINE on several different distributions, and judging by the link that Spatry has provided and by the resources at PlayOnLinux's site, it's very much the same now as it was back then (Release of WOTLK). What I did was backed up my World Of Warcraft folder from Program Files and placed it into my documents files on my linux machine and just ran it in WINE and it ran right out of the box with no additional configuration needed (other than having your graphics driver installed of course).
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »
Hello polkat! Welcome to the Cup of Linux Forums! Have a look around and feel free to join us in the chatroom or on Mumble voice chat, if you would like to.
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum take a seat and have a look around
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »
Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy this community! :D
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 12:21:46 AM »
Welcome Jim!  KXStudio is one excellent audio workstation distro I would recommend.