Support for "Ping*y OS"
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Support for "Ping*y OS"  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Support for "Ping*y OS"
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »
Users who require support for "Ping*y OS" will need to direct their inquiries to their forum. The developer was justly banned from this community for multiple counts of bad behavior on our Mumble server.

In retaliation the developer of "Ping*y OS" filed a trademark complaint against Cup of Linux for having promotional videos of that product. All developer posts have been removed from this board and all related materials have been purged from my YouTUBE channel. The forced removal of such videos do not hurt me personally but causes harm to community members who benefit from the tutorials. This act of acrimony makes Antoni Norman an ENEMY OF FREE AND OPEN SOURCE in my humble opinion. My spiritual convictions push me to forgive him for his shortsightedness but I feel I am doing a major dis-service to the community by remaining silent on the issue. The well you drink from affects other people and there are consequences for every action or lack thereof.

Compiz videos tied to that series have been removed and a new series named "Compiz-Reloaded" was created. You can find it stickied in the SOFTWARE section of this board.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
Re: Support for Pinguy OS
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »
And so it begins... I'll do my best to make sure to inform members of the change and make sure that they get the help that they need. Thank you for letting us all know. It's a shame it happened the way it did...
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Support for Ping*y OS
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
We can still supply support as long as the person asking for help states that they are using an Ubuntu derivative and does not mention "Pinguy OS". In the meantime, we will want to see what the EFF has to say about this before we can take any further action.

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Re: Support for "Pinguy OS"
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »
So Ben got back word from EFF saying they'd look into things?  It's good to see word able to get out now.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Support for "Pinguy OS"
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
nothing from the EFF yet... please stay tuned...

Offline Kirk

Re: Support for "Ping*y OS"
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
I don't comment much here but I like what this community is doing. I've been involved in the Unix/BSD/Linux community for a long time. I find the attitude and actions of Antoni to be disgusting. What an anti-community, anti-free and self detrimental road he has chosen. Unfortunately the ramifications of his actions can be severe. Spatry please do not let this discourage you. Your efforts and hard work have helped the Linux community, including pinguy, greatly. Please continue your excellent videos.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Thanks for posting on the forum, Kirk. It is nice to hear from you. I will not let this stop me from doing this service to the community. If anything, this only strengthens my resolve. We will continue to offer support if someone is using the aforementioned. The language filter on this board will censor the name pinguyos and therefore is not a trademark infringement as the proper word nor associated graphics are displayed.

Offline vstarsteve

• unreformed distrohopper asus z77 sabertooth i7
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that,but sounds like another first class handling by Spatry again.Thanks for all your great labor-of-love videos and forum work.

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »
So sad to hear this and disappointed with the outcome as I always thought Pinguy OS was a pretty good distro.
Joe Johnston

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Ping*y OS isn't really that great anyway, for anyone thats using it I would recommend using another distro, like Ubuntu or elementary os

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Support for "Ping*y OS"
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
Ping*y OS isn't really that great anyway, for anyone thats using it I would recommend using another distro, like Ubuntu or elementary os

Checked it out the other week, doesn't look like it has been updated in a long time either. Its an "OK" distro, but not spectacular. It's kind of like the last iteration of Elementary OS (Luna) that went years upon years without any new version being released prior to Ubuntu 14.04. Anyhow, would much rather just use Manjaro anyway.

Sad that people can't be decent to each other on the forums (well, the dev of Pinguy OS anyway). Hopefully this will be a lesson learned to be decent to other people. We may not all agree on the same thing, but at least have enough sense to agree to disagree and move on. Sounds like the dev didn't do this as I can't see Spatry banning somebody from COL community without a very good reason.

Still Spatry, I can't believe he would file a trademark complaint. Honestly, while he may have customized the UI, however a lot of the source code is derived from Debian. Did he only file it on the name of the distro? Doesn't matter I suppose. All past news. Just saw the post now.

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

• If at first you don't succeed - sudo
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Another example of how alcohol abuse can cause major problems. I'll pray for him nonetheless.
"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" - (HAL 9000) 2001: A Space Odyssey

Offline kantoquad

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 05:01:58 AM »
I consider myself a friendly to both Spatry and Pinguy. We  have not heard from him in a while. I am not trying to defend or offend, but he reported health problems prior to this. He taught me a lot and I appreciate him and Spatry, whose videos did the same.
I got into Linux because it was free. I stayed because it was fun and has an outstanding community.

Offline swarfendor437

• Not f'd:You won't find me on facebook/social media
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »
Reminds me of the slanging match that members of SolusOS forum gave me when I was pointing to helpers on a different forum - I'll never touch SolusOS again.