How to Install nvidia-beta-all or nvidia-beta on mcole x64???
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: How to Install nvidia-beta-all or nvidia-beta on mcole x64???  (Read 3948 times)

Offline woops

How to Install nvidia-beta-all or nvidia-beta on mcole x64???
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
How do you do it? How do you do it?

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
Re: How to Install nvidia-beta-all or nvidia-beta on mcole x64???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
You could either try to install it from the AUR or the Manjaro Unstable repos.  Keep in mind that this can break your system, though.  Here is the AUR package - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-beta/

Offline woops

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »
the thing to do is use aur in order to get future updates. the problem i'm having is that, with yaourt at least, mhwd conflicts with the nvidia install. when yaourt asks is it okay to remove mhwd and answered YES, it really does nothing and goes into a loop of
installing nvidia
conflict. do i want to remove mhwd (answer YES)
installing nvidia

Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
Re: Re: How to Install nvidia-beta-all or nvidia-beta on mcole x64???
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:17:15 AM »
the thing to do is use aur in order to get future updates. the problem i'm having is that, with yaourt at least, mhwd conflicts with the nvidia install. when yaourt asks is it okay to remove mhwd and answered YES, it really does nothing and goes into a loop of
installing nvidia
conflict. do i want to remove mhwd (answer YES)
installing nvidia

Any ideas? Thanks.
I don't think this is going to be possible with the GUI or the package manager, if that's the case.  You probably will have to manually download the driver from - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/76396/en-us

I would recommend rebooting into the rescue shell.  Then, cd into the folder where  you saved the new driver.  Do:
Code: [Select]
chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.runthen
Code: [Select]
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.runFollow the prompts, let the installer edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf for you, reboot and cross your fingers.
***THIS MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM***

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »
Doesn't mhwd give you the option of installing the nvidia beta-driver? And why does it have to be the beta one? I'm 100% sure, that mhwd can install the stable one which really should work just fine. You might have to read about mhwd in the manjaro-wiki

Offline technomancer

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
    • Book to get into prepping
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »
I installed COL and Nvidia drivers,updated then completely broke my drivers. I have no idea what is going on with it. I'm used to ubuntu/debian methods for drivers and to complicate matters it is an optimus card, LOL     Nvidia 860m. I tried but optimus will not function, system no longer uses nvidia driverer. Bumblebee doesn't work either.Goes into an install loop like WOOPS posted had happen. Shall I just reinstall ? Give up ? There doesn't seem to be a definative official guide to do this, unless I completely missed it.
1.Asus ROG gl551jm, I7, 16gb ddr3, nvidia gtx 860m(win8, 7 dualboot)
2.Asus p5ql-pro, 8gb ddr2, nvidia gtx 280( Multibooting-Manajaro Cole, Kwheezy(debian), LM17, LinuxLite, Win7 pro, Win7 ultimate,  Ubuntu 12.04...more to come.
3.Gateway nv53, 4gb ram. Manjaro Cole, LinuxLite.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:38:44 AM »
Before trying to reinstall I would suggest THIS guide to see if you can fix your problem. I do not personally own any Nvidia hardware but the people who wrote the guide do.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline technomancer

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
    • Book to get into prepping
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
I followed that guide and had no success. I gave up putting Cole on my new laptop, a shame. I did however put it on my desktop. (Asus P5QLpro, q9550, nvidia gtx280) I have no issues at all with it. I believe that this issue is the same as all Linux editions are having at this time due to nvidia drivers being messed up in regards to Optimus technology. Thank you for the assistance, guess we will all have to wait until the drivers are fixed.
1.Asus ROG gl551jm, I7, 16gb ddr3, nvidia gtx 860m(win8, 7 dualboot)
2.Asus p5ql-pro, 8gb ddr2, nvidia gtx 280( Multibooting-Manajaro Cole, Kwheezy(debian), LM17, LinuxLite, Win7 pro, Win7 ultimate,  Ubuntu 12.04...more to come.
3.Gateway nv53, 4gb ram. Manjaro Cole, LinuxLite.